Butt Plateau Reached!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thrifty token

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Dedham, MA
Here I am smoking my first butt of the season (long story) and I have hit the magical plateau! :yahoo: Now, I vowed to not foil this time, as I am experimenting a bit. Good thing I'm stubborn!! This could take awhile. Smoking a 9# Boston Butt in my ECB using Dragon Fire Lump Charcoal. This is the best lump IMHO. I'll post Q-view when finished. :grilling_smilie:

Gotta show the q-views! 
th_What_NO_QVIEW.gif

Kat

This is the second post I've read today about not foiling. You are inspiring me to give it a try. That is a great looking butt.

Disco

Give it a try! Then you can decide which method works best for you. Best part of smoking meat is that "one size doesn't fit all! Let me know how it goes! :grilling_smilie:

Nicely done!!! I haven't foiled a butt for probably 3 years...probably never will again, either...smoke and learn.

Eric

This is the second post I've read today about not foiling. You are inspiring me to give it a try. That is a great looking butt.

Disco

Give it a shot, disco. I foil only after the IT is reached. You may never go back.

Just make sure you save a portion or two for yourself. I put the finished product out with homemade barbecue sauce and turned my back for a moment. Never do that!! There were no scraps left!! Guess that's a sign of good eats! Smoke and learn......

Looks super.  Great Job,  So Hungry now and I just did two 7.5 pounder's this weekend but they are all gone now ... 
th_crybaby2.gif

I don't foil anymore either once I notice I have hit my stall i just bump the temp up 25-50 degrees depending on where my cabinet is running and that usually will 

start to bring her up and get her through the plateau.  Then just watch that bark start to really develop.   

On pork butt it does not matter whether you foil or not the ONLY difference is....if you foil your butt will continue to cook a little more and dive slightly deeper with the IT so if you pull at 190 or 200 it won't matter usually goes about. 10-sometimes 15 degrees further but if you pull it at 210 215 (a lot if people do) you are prolly better off not foiling as it may become mushy something to think about say if your favorite team goes to overtime or you fall asleep and you meat cooks longer tha you planned :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky