Burgers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

13spicerub

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
NYC
gonna make my own burgers with blue cheese or cheddar or some other kind of cheese mixed in. anyone got any good recipes?

I have never smoked burgers, but once in a while I'll mix ground beef with ground pork for the meat and add some Lipton onion soup mix.. grilled it then melt some Havarti cheese on top. served on onion buns.

I lay all the meat out like one large patty on a large platter.
Season with Sea Salt, Pepper and Garlic Powder.
(sometimes I even mix in a couple of drops of Liquid Smoke and a Tbsp of Tomato Paste and incorporate it well). Let this all get to room temp, then make patties and grill.

Meat - I like an 80/20 for flavor. I like to buy the Styrofoam trays sealed w the cryo seal (not done by butcher in store) it costs more but it's great beef.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, a thin slice of RED Onion and a GOOD Kaiser roll from the deli and you will be a happy man.

Cheese, is to your liking, as well as other condiments. I like a good dark brown stone ground mustard with seeds in it.

TRY to only flip once and you're done when the juices start to run clear.

Hope this helps
Vman

You gotta start with good beef. Find a butcher or store that sells beef that TASTES GOOD. You know what I'm talkin' about... you can taste the grass the beef ate....smell the flowers it smelled....it is a visceral and completely carnivorous experience that we are blessed to have.

80/20 is what you need to grill right. Anything leaner and it comes out tough.

Buy more than you think you'll need.

Once home, open the package and put it in a large bowl and let it sit. That's right, let it warm up a good while (I was a food safety officer with Tyson, so it's really okay no matter what the media or the USDA want you to think). You are going to cook this to 180 Farenheit. It is okay.

Add the things you like. Coarse ground black pepper and a dollop of woorstee-shire sauce are enough for me.

Make softball sized meatballs, then gently press them into incredibly large patties about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. No worries, they will shrink to the perfect size to fit a Kaiser roll. Back when you were a kid, didn't you hate the shriveled patties you always got from the family and friends cookout? This is the answer.

Patties made, let them sit around too. You want the meat room temp or so when you put them on the grill.

Slather them in a good mustard when done. Layer them with a sharp swiss cheese and vidalia onion. A slab of tomato from your garden is all ya need.

Or, you can freeze them. Layer them in wax paper and stick them in freezer bags. Have a couple dozen in the deep freeze for the kids this summer.

Enjoy!

I've recently made hamburger patties with bleu cheese crumbles mixed in with the meat. Had a 1/2 pound of ground chuck and took about a 1/4 cup of bleu cheese crumbles and mixed it in with the beef (along with salt and pepper). Added a little more cheese, per taste, and grilled them over a propane flame (not smoked).

They were for my Jon (husband) and he's enjoyed them ever since!

Well take hambuger mix your basic ingredients salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and add teryaki to it. Hence teryaki burgers
biggrin.gif

Just some burgers tonight. Thought about takin a pic, but the wife just laughed at me. Go figure. Just coated them with Jeffs rub. Never had smoked burgers before. This wont be last by a long shot.

well, i know its a couple days late, but i add A1 supreme garlic sauce into the ground beef, then take a lid (mayo or peanut butter) and put some plastic wrap over it. take your beef and mold it into the lid and make a little indentation in the center and add your crumbled cheese. after that, take a little more beef and place it over top. i then go around the outside of the patty to try and seal it the best i can.

Got in the habit a few years ago forming my burger around a slice of Vidalia onion. The onion cooks inside the burger, little harder to do than just chopping it up & mixing it in, but I like it better. 80/20 is the only way to go. Anything leaner just doesn't taste right. Once you smoke a burger you won't go back to grilling them.

I always add a handful of oatmeal to the meat when I'm mixing it all together. My mom always did it when I was a kid, and I read it somewhere in a Men's health magazine. I think it's supposed to help hold the meat together or something like that. Plus it's a little protein boost, and oatmeal helps to boost your body's natural production of testosterone.

It works especially as a filler. Once it's cooked, you won't even know it's in there.

i did 40 in smoker at ole work place add pound of pork for every 4 of beef mix in all the good stuff the night befor let sit in fridge mix in onions and also lay on top oh yea kick ***
wink.gif

Thats a mouth full. Make thin beef and pork patties. Sautee portabellas and onion seasoned with garlic powder, red pepper, salt. Place generouse portion on beef patty and top with provolone or havarty cheese. Cap with pork burger patty and seal well around edges. Salt and pepper both sides and grill well. Place on onion bun and spread a chipolte sauce mixed with roasted garlic to taste or. Garnish as you wish

Mine perfect burger is a mix of lean ground beef, about 1/4 ground pork, finely chopped onion, chopped garlic, Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning, egg white to hold it together. It has to be big... A good kiaser bun, tomato, cheese (not processed, cheddar or havarti, etc...), onion, a bit of Bulls Eye Original..... ahhhhhh, heaven....

Burt
biggrin.gif

Holy Burgers Batman!
That is sick!

Here's my recipe:
Get some good ground chuck, crunch up a bag of Funyuns, a little minced garlic, mix it up and make some patties....

There ya go.

I know, it's even later
icon_rolleyes.gif
But here's what I do....

I always buy just "ground beef". I've found that the ground beef (80% at most) is made with the trimmings from roasts and steaks, so althought the fat content is higher, the quality of the meat itself is better. I make the burgers large to allow for shrinkage, put them on a foil lined cookie sheet, and do the following:

Sprinkle grill seasoning lightly over all the burgers (I make my own, but a good quality bought brand is good).

A light sprinkle of worcester sauce, and a little high quality teriyaki sauce, spread evenly over the patty with the back of a spoon.

Let sit in fridge for an hour, then 30 minutes out of the fridge to bring to room temp before cooking. Good sear over high heat (DO NOT press on them, you'll squeeze out all the juice!), and turn once. Clear juices make 'em done! I think you'll be VERY pleased with this technique!
icon_smile.gif

Yea, I guess I'm late here too. Perhaps it will help the next guy/gal. Steven Reichlan did a deal the other day with seasoned butter (butter and bacon.....they make everything better!). Whip some goodies in with some softened butter (garlic, onion chips, bacon bits, what have you). Wrap in plastic wrap to form a 1" tube, and refridgerate to harden.

Form a really thick patty and make a "mashed potato pond" in the middle of it. Cut about a 1" chunk of the new seasoned butter and put it in the pond. Form the patty around the butter until hidden. Smoke to your desired finished temp and they will be very moist and smokey.

For a good smoke patty, here is what I do. Take a 3lb chub of ground 73/27, put in a big bowl and add BBQ sauce and worcechestire sauce. I do it by hand.... not sure of measurement. If I was guessing I'd say 1/2- 3/4 cup of bbq sauce and 2 tbl spoons of W sauce. Mix by hand and form patties. Form patties about 6-7" diameter and about an inch thick. Start smokin. Let the patties sit for the 1st 45 minutes, atleast thats the way my pit works, then flip. I usually will flip 3-4 times over a 3 hr - 200/250 degree smoke. I baste them with a butter/season mix to taste on each flip.
They come out with a nice smoke ring and are so juicy. Just made some tonight. Will start taking pics, this is a family fav and easy to do. I use Krafts basic BBQ sauce, nothing fancy.
I have used the 85/15, 90/10.......just comes out do dry for us.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky