Buckboard Bacon Done W/ QVIEW

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meateater

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 17, 2009
Hendertucky, Nv.
Folks, if you havent tried this I highly suggest it if you like bacon or ham. I was a little nervous at first but now I'll be making this all the time. First off I had to track down some pork butts that weren't enhanced. I finally went to a carniceria, a mexican meat market and found some and they were priced right on. Once on the chopping block I used my Rapala Fillet Knife to work out the bone, yes a dirty old tackle box fillet knife, well scrubbed at least. If you don't fish I still would have one in the kitchen, best investment you can make. Once I got that bone out I coated them with Hi-Mountain Buckboard Bacon Cure following the instructions to the letter, except flipping it every day for the 10 days not just after five days like the instructions. I weighed the meat after digging out the bones and went by the formula. The only thing I did different was I dusted the meat with CBB. After the 10 day torture test I washed the meat with cold water very well and soaked in cold water for 1.5 hours. I then did the salt test. Perfect was the outcome. Now onto the smoker with a hunk of hickory and a kiss of mesquite, my favorite combo as of late. 

78da8ade_bb1.jpg

c81118ca_bb2.jpg

332fb120_bbcoyote.jpg

079cf54f_bbsmoker.jpg

60c7087b_bbwood.jpg

a2abe3cb_bb3.jpg

8741903b_bb4.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ribboss
It looks outstanding
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Beautiful !!!!!

Ha-Ha-Ha---Now you're hooked!

That's all it took?

A big chunk of Hickory, A little chunk of Mesquite, and ONE High Life???

Thanks for showing some nice BBB,

Bear

Beautiful !!!!!

Ha-Ha-Ha---Now you're hooked!

That's all it took?

A big chunk of Hickory, A little chunk of Mesquite, and ONE High Life???

Thanks for showing some nice BBB,

Bear
Oh there was a few High Life's! The cooks gotta keep hydrated.
icon_cool.gif

What a great looking bacon - I have done a bunch of bellies and have another one to pick up tomorrow but I really need to give this a try - gotta see if I can find the unenhanced pork around here

Freeking Great!

Another Guy Hooked On BBB!!!!!

We just had BBBLT Sandwiches and they're awesome.

You won't go back to store bought bacon again.

Todd

oh man that makes me want to try that stuff, does it really taste like bacon? you pan fry it like reg bacon? need pics of the crispy goodness lol

It's a little more like ham but it rocks. I had a plate of this and eggs this morning and was ready for a second plateful.

How long dose it have to cook in the smoker? Where would I get a pork belly at? I am assuming the local wal-mart doesn't carry that.
You can get pork butts almost anywhere (grocery stores), but most people have to get a butcher shop to get you a belly.

Nice job meateater----Hmmm, I think I already told you that.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Bear

cool.gif

Now that's some good looking bacon you have there. You can't get enough Qview of some homemade bacon either. I'm calling for a round of BLT's for the house.!!!!!!!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky