Buckboard Bacon Done W/ QVIEW

Discussion in 'Smoking Bacon' started by meateater, Jun 24, 2010.

1. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Folks, if you havent tried this I highly suggest it if you like bacon or ham. I was a little nervous at first but now I'll be making this all the time. First off I had to track down some pork butts that weren't enhanced. I finally went to a carniceria, a mexican meat market and found some and they were priced right on. Once on the chopping block I used my Rapala Fillet Knife to work out the bone, yes a dirty old tackle box fillet knife, well scrubbed at least. If you don't fish I still would have one in the kitchen, best investment you can make. Once I got that bone out I coated them with Hi-Mountain Buckboard Bacon Cure following the instructions to the letter, except flipping it every day for the 10 days not just after five days like the instructions. I weighed the meat after digging out the bones and went by the formula. The only thing I did different was I dusted the meat with CBB. After the 10 day torture test I washed the meat with cold water very well and soaked in cold water for 1.5 hours. I then did the salt test. Perfect was the outcome. Now onto the smoker with a hunk of hickory and a kiss of mesquite, my favorite combo as of late. 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
    ribboss likes this.
  2. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

It looks outstanding [​IMG]

3. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Beautiful !!!!!

Ha-Ha-Ha---Now you're hooked!

That's all it took?

A big chunk of Hickory, A little chunk of Mesquite, and ONE High Life???

Thanks for showing some nice BBB,

Bear

4. meateater

Oh there was a few High Life's! The cooks gotta keep hydrated. [​IMG]

5. rdknb

rdknb Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

look great, you know my to smoke list is getting as long as my other to do list

6. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

What a great looking bacon - I have done a bunch of bellies and have another one to pick up tomorrow but I really need to give this a try - gotta see if I can find the unenhanced pork around here

7. old poi dog

old poi dog Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Wish I had some to fry up......[​IMG]

8. travcoman45

travcoman45 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Nothin like homemade bacon!  It beats that stuff in the store so bad there ain't even a score card fer it!

Nice work!

9. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Freeking Great!

Another Guy Hooked On BBB!!!!!

We just had BBBLT Sandwiches and they're awesome.

You won't go back to store bought bacon again.

Todd

10. pandemonium

pandemonium Master of the Pit

oh man that makes me want to try that stuff, does it really taste like bacon? you pan fry it like reg bacon? need pics of the crispy goodness lol

11. meateater

It's a little more like ham but it rocks. I had a plate of this and eggs this morning and was ready for a second plateful.

12. How long dose it have to cook in the smoker? Where would I get a pork belly at? I am assuming the local wal-mart doesn't carry that.

13. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

You can get pork butts almost anywhere (grocery stores), but most people have to get a butcher shop to get you a belly.

Nice job meateater----Hmmm, I think I already told you that.[​IMG]

Bear

14. hdsmoke

hdsmoke Smoking Fanatic

Someone needs to make a BBB Wiki...i want to try it.  Whats the Temps...grate and IT?

15. Props to you.  I can just taste a big blt with some maters from the garden on sourdough.  Dang, guess I'm going to have to go to lunch now.

16. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Now that's some good looking bacon you have there. You can't get enough Qview of some homemade bacon either. I'm calling for a round of BLT's for the house.!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010