Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kboss714

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Colorado
I have been invited to be apart of my church's brisket competition. They know I do BBQ so I got invited to partake, but only problem is I don't do a lot of briskets. I normally do pork ribs, pulled pork, hams, chicken thighs, whole chickens and wings. I have a master built electric smoker and I use traeger pellets in alder flavor.

This will be the whole brisket we will be smoking and I have only done either a flat or point, whatever on sale around St. Patrick's Day. Looking for some advice on times, temperatures, remove fat/trim and brine/inject or not. I do a lot of brineing of other meats so pretty familiar with that process.  I have a pretty good rub I use on steaks and beef so don't need a rub recipe.

Last edited:
Why not see if they are willing to expand the categories and have a bigger contest!

There are a ton of brisket recipes on here.

Use the search bar at the top & start reading.

Hopefully your smoker is big enough for a full packer.

You may have to separate it or cut it down to fit.

Al

Have seen the Bludawg method?

BLUDAWGS BRISKET - K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb

Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub

1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)

apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg

place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner

cook Brisket 4 hrs

remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.

after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it will be within 1 hr.

once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.

Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.

*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

Have seen the Bludawg method?

BLUDAWGS BRISKET - K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb

Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub

1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)

apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg

place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner

cook Brisket 4 hrs

remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.

after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it will be within 1 hr.

once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.

Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.

*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag
This looks very interesting, I always smoked brisket low & slow. I like to try new things & will give this a try.

Thanks for sharing

Al

You will never be able to fit a 12 - 15 lb packer in the MES.  My suggestion would be to cut off the flat end until you can fit it all.  The flat end is usually pretty thin anyway and can dry out quite easily, so if you are going to cut off any of it, that should be the end.  I typically trim a lot of the fat off.  I try to leave 1/8 to 1/4 inch max of fat on it when trimming.  I would recommend separating the flat from the point once you get the flat probe tender.  Rest the flat and cube the point up for burnt ends and put them back in the smoker until done to your liking.  Turn in your best pieces of the flat and the best looking burnt ends.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky