Brisket recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rafter H BBQ

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 18, 2013
S.E. Idaho
Hey all, just need a little input from you brisket smokers !! I know brisket can be soooo good but is kinda tricky. Smoked one a while back and was decent but this is for the family BBQ and was wondering if I could get some tips, DO's & DONT'S !! Any help is very much appreciated !! Thanks to ya'll in advance.

I have done brisket several different ways but the last one was by far the best...and simplest. When I fire up the smokerI I tend to do a variety of meats and don't want to fill the smoker with one piece in orde to have room for differet things. Based on that I will get a 15 to 16 pound brisket, cut it in half, cook one half and freeze the other half for the next cook. The last time I did one it was the thick end of the brisket and weighed in right at 8 pounds. I "rubbed" it with Montreal Steak Seasoning and put it on the smoker for 5 hours. This was enough time to create a really nice smoke ring and an definite but not overpowering smoke flavor. I then took it off the smoker, injected it with a mixture of beef broth and bourbon, poured the rest of the broth & bourbon mixture into an aluminum foil baking pan along ith the brisket, covered it with foil and finished it on the grill for a couple of hours. The IT was about 160 when it came off the smoker and I ran it up to 195 on the grill, took it off, wrapped it in foil and laid it to rest in a cooler for a while. When I sliced it I was absolutely amazed. This was the personfiation of perfection and by far the best brisket I have ever had....and everybody else thought so too. It was so most, tender, juicy, and flavorful!! the Montreal seasoning creaed an almost crunchy bark, the bourbon added a deep, rich flavor, and the beef broth kept it super-moist. I had injected briskets prior to this one but always before they went on the smoker versus after taking them off to go on the grill. Waiting till later seemed to keep a lot more of the moistness in the meat for a more juicy finished product.

You may well get a ton of different ideas from the great folks here but this method worked well for myself and my friends. I will definitely be doing briskets this way going forward!!

My .02 and getting change back,
Robert

It all depends on what part of the brisket you are doing. Robert seemed to say he was doing the point and his method sounds good to me!

I usually only do flats and not whole packers. I remove the excess fat from the meat side, apply rub. and smoke fat side down. At the stall time, about 160, I put in foil pan, add beef broth, and cover with foil. Let it go to around 190 and the toothpick test. Remove from heat, cover and rest. Then slice. Have not had a bad one yet!

Mike

Also I've always found the rest period very important with brisket. The flats can be a bit lean and when sliced thin, can dry out quickly if juices run. Try to rest for at least an hour. wrap in foil and then wrap in towels, then throw into a clean dry cooler.

Never tried injecting after the meat had started cooking like TXSmoker's method, but I do agree with Humdinger that the rest is a key factor in keeping a brisket juicy and moist.  However, the biggest factor in a briskets juiciness is the internal fat content or marbling as it is referred to.  Not the external fat (external fat does nothing for flavor or assists in anyway in keeping the meat juicy other than acting as a shield from direct heat), but it's the internal fat that lends a hand to both a juicy and flavorful piece of meat.  Also, remember that buying a  Choice or Prime grade brisket does not guarantee the internal fat due to the fact that the cow the brisket came off of was graded Choice or Prime, not necessarily the brisket itself.  Unless I am wrong, it is the rib eye cut thats inspected for the grading process, therefore it is possible to get a brisket that would be considered Choice grade off from a cow whose ribeye was graded select and vice versa.  Another tip for keeping the flat juicy is when you slice it.  All protein, once exposed to air, will dry out fairly quickly especially when piping hot, the optimal slicing temp for a cooked brisket is under 170 IT, so that is at the very least an hour long rest if not 3 to 4 depending on how you rest the meat (I rest mine like most, in a cooler, wrapped in towels).  Consider that most briskets are toothpick tender anywhere above 200 degrees IT, so you have to allow the meat to return to 170 or below slowly, not rapidly, to allow the muscle fibers to relax naturally, allowing redistributon of the juices throughout the meat.  The following is my suggestion for great brisket everytime, as TXSmoker proved, there are more than 1 right way to cook a brisket, the trick is finding what you and the people you cook for like.  Most of all, read the last sentence carefully, have fun and be patient.  Briskets take lots of patience!

In general, 225 to 250 pit temp works just fine, smoke with your choice of any number of woods, oak, hickory, pecan, mesquite, cherry, apple or a mixture works well.  Fat side up or fat side down, everybody has their own way, but the most important factor is your smoker, try and place the brisket on the smoker where the meats surface is protected from the heat source, using the fat cap as a shield from direct heat on the meat surface.  Smoke for 4 to 6 hours until the IT reaches 160 to 165 or you get that nice, mahogany color to the meats surface.  Wrap in foil or butcher paper your choice once the IT has reached 160 (if your not a wrap guy, at the very least pan it at this point to catch and save the precious juices that will begin to come from the meat as it enters the stall, these juices will come in handy later for vac sealing leftovers or if your brisket turns out dry), continue the cook until the meat reaches 190 IT, at this point start probing the flat section (thin, lean end) every 30 minutes or 5 degrees of IT increase, until a toothpick or probe can be slid in easily, like probing a tub of butter. In my experience, most briskets won’t become probe tender until around 205 IT, but everyone cooks a bit different.  Once you have reached this point, pull the brisket from the pit, vent the foil or other wrap for about 10 to 15 minutes to allow the cooking to stop and the excess steam to escape, wrap in foil or foil pan if it is not already, place in a cooler wrapped in towels for at least an hour, 2 or more is better.  Once the IT of the meat has dropped down to 160 or below (optimal temp for the juices to have been redistributed through the meat), it is time to slice it and enjoy.  If your slices tend to be a bit dry, simply dip in the au jus or place the slices in a pan and drizzle the au jus over the slices, this will both enhance the flavor and assist with the moisture.

Have fun and most all have patience!

Keep it simple and it will turn out the best. Over rubbed brisket can overpower the taste of the meat and even seal the outside of the meat so well that a lot of smoke doesn't get in.

Lightly rub with your favorite rub, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate over night.

Take the brisket out of the fridge 2 hours before start of cook time, get your fire/heat going between 225F-250F, and place your brisket in the smoker with meat probe in the thickest part.

Give yourself up to 2 hours per pound to reach 185F but most will be done around 1.5 hours per lb. At this point you will want to take a knife and or a different probe to poke the meat. When the knife or probe goes in "like butter" you're read to get that brisket out. Each brisket is different. I've had some perfect at 185F and some that I waited until 205F.

When meat is pulled, wrap in foil, wrap in large towel, and place in a cooler for at least an hour and up to 3 hours. Slice against the grain.

To cut down on some cooking time you may foil the brisket at 165F. This is known as the "Texas Crutch".

Other than if you decide to wrap in foil...DO NOT OPEN THE SMOKER.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky