Brisket Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

funk

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
I smoked a brisket a few weeks ago using my WSM instead of my usually UDS.   It turned out really good, but the only problem is that the rub was very moist when I went to slice it.  Most of it came off.  I did use the waterpan and filled it about half full.  Do I really need to have water in the pan?  It seems as if there is too much moisture in the smoker.  Thanks for any input.

I put sand in my water pan and cover it with foil. It makes the cleanup a breeze. You can get a bag of play sand at H. Depot.

I have heard of doing that and I have 3 bags sitting in my garage so I will try it next time.  Does it take your smoker an extra time coming up to tempature?  Do you use a full pan of sand?   thanks.

No it comes up to temp faster. I fill the pan about half way & make the sides a little higher than the middle so the grease runs to the center.

Thanks.  I am going to try it next time.

Agree with the use of the sand, one of the cool "tricks of the trade" that I learned from SMF! There is no need for monitoring the water level on overnight smokes.

For those of you that use sand, does it get hot enough to burn the drippings? That's my biggest problem when the water gets low, the drippings burn and it gives off a bitter/burnt smoke. With a full water pan I dont have that problem, but it would be nice to not have to constantly monitor it.

Interesting. I use water in my WSM pan. The bark is soft but not falling off soft. I have replaced the stock water pan with 2 Brinkmann charcoal pans bolted together separated by 3 nuts. I can run for very long periods of time with out refilling the water bowel. This could be the difference. 

I use clay saucer in my WSM's both 18 and 22 works well and clean up is real easy... You can hold low temps as well as high temps...
icon14.gif

Sand is the way to go. I fill my water pan with sand at the begining of winter and don't take it out until spring. Just make sure you cover it good with foil during a smoke.

I just stumbled on this thread. So what's the purpose of filling the water pan with sand instead of water, other than to pull moisture out of the smoker? Why wouldn't you want the moisture? Is it because it's cold out and moisture tends to condense in the warm smoker so water in the pan is not necessary?

Getting ready to do a brisket in my MES next weekend and would really like to benefit from some tips.

I just stumbled on this thread. So what's the purpose of filling the water pan with sand instead of water, other than to pull moisture out of the smoker? Why wouldn't you want the moisture? Is it because it's cold out and moisture tends to condense in the warm smoker so water in the pan is not necessary?
Getting ready to do a brisket in my MES next weekend and would really like to benefit from some tips.
The OP was looking for a crisper bark. the sand in the pan instead of water will give him what he is looking for

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky