Brisket differences???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foozer

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 21, 2007
Huxley, Iowa
Can someone explain the difference between these 4 names.

Whole Brisket

Packer Brisket

Flat

Point

Pictures would help a lot if you have them.

I always assumed that whole and packer were different... meaning that whole was a point + a flat, but trimmed up. And a packer was basically the same but not trimmed, so more fat left on.
icon_question.gif

Fatback Joe and Ritchee

Thanks that helps a lot. Fatback thanks for the link that is very helpful. A picture is worth a 1000 words. So they say.

Walking Dude,

Yes I did check out the thread. It was quite interesting. Now when driving through the countryside I find myself looking to see what side the cattle are laying on. I am not sure I believe there can be that much difference between a right and left brisket. I not even sure when in the store I could tell the difference. I think if a Brisket is cooked correctly it shouldn't matter. But, what do I know other than I didn't cook it right the other day.
I will say that I thinly sliced the brisket last night with my new Weston 12" slicer (what a machine for $100 +). We made sammies out of it with some of Jeff's BBQ sauce and they were delicious.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky