Brisket Availability in Boise, Idaho

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Victor

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
Houston, Texas
What is the brisket availability in Boise, Idaho?

And, what is the average price per pound?

I'll be going there this fall. I have googled meat markets and grocery stores with no answer.

I'll be driving, so I'm wondering if I would be better off bringing them from Houston, Texas.

Any smokers here in the Treasure Valley?

Victor

Hey, Victor! I'm out here in Eagle. The three places I would check for brisket are Costco, Winco, and Cash And Carry. I'm not sure what current prices are.

Boise has three Winco supermarkets, kind of a Costco for groceries. Great place to shop.  Great source of meat.  In the Fall, prices are better at Winco for meat that is usually BBQ'd in the summer.  Choice grade brisket prices are $3.99/lb currently.  In the Fall I paid as little as $1.99/lb for brisket when it was on sale.  $2.99/lb was the regular price until the summer season hit. 

Great bulk section for spices to make rubs, and just about anything else you could want. 

Last edited:
My main concern was the availability. I was googling some grocery stores and meat markets in Boise, and never could see any listings for brisket. But, after seeing the Cash and Carry establishment in the above post, it looked like they carry packers in the store. I was afraid I was going to have to get some dry ice and bring my own from Houston. I actually did see some Snake River outfit that had some high dollar briskets, but not what I usually get here in Houston. Thanks for the feedback, I'm really looking forward to get back into Boise in the fall.

Victor

My main concern was the availability. I was googling some grocery stores and meat markets in Boise, and never could see any listings for brisket. But, after seeing the Cash and Carry establishment in the above post, it looked like they carry packers in the store. I was afraid I was going to have to get some dry ice and bring my own from Houston. I actually did see some Snake River outfit that had some high dollar briskets, but not what I usually get here in Houston. Thanks for the feedback, I'm really looking forward to get back into Boise in the fall.

Victor
I know Sam's clubs are in Idaho. They sell whole packers. Maybe you can get a gift card and use it without joining.

Cash and Carry has a walk in full of whole cuts of meat in cryovac. You can check online to see if they have them in stock.

Boise has three Winco supermarkets, kind of a Costco for groceries. Great place to shop. Great source of meat. In the Fall, prices are better at Winco for meat that is usually BBQ'd in the summer. Choice grade brisket prices are $3.99/lb currently. In the Fall I paid as little as $1.99/lb for brisket when it was on sale. $2.99/lb was the regular price until the summer season hit.

Great bulk section for spices to make rubs, and just about anything else you could want.
I have always bought my brisket at Albertsons. I dont mind paying a little more if the quality is better. Any suggestions or ideas on this?

My oh my, how things have changed in the last 5 years since this thread was last updated. Cheapest packer brisket I've seen at Winco was fairly recent @ $4.28/lb, labeled "Choice or Better." Until then, the price was well over a $1/lb higher.

I have a different outlook on briskets than many people. Folks are often swayed by the meat grade, equating a higher grade of brisket to a better final result. Cooking shows, televised competitions, and BBQ restaurant reviews have fed this perspective. There's nothing wrong with that, and it definitely impacts steak muscles, but briskets? I'm not sold.

Smoking was about preserving meat or turning cheap tough cuts into tender, juicy offerings. With the exception of steak, I've always bought the cheapest meat available, especially briskets, regardless of grade. When smoked and rested correctly, I've not noticed any difference between Select, Choice, or Better. Maybe the higher grades are more forgiving, but I treat each the same and get tender, juicy results.

I've compared Select Grade briskets with "Choice or Better" when they were available in the same store. It seems to me there was more fat on the higher grades, but briskets don't get their tender juiciness from fat; they get it from melted collagen in the muscle fiber. I'll take more meat over fat any day.

Someday I'd love to smoke a lean, tough, bison brisket. Hmmm. I think one just went on my Christmas list.

My oh my, how things have changed in the last 5 years since this thread was last updated. Cheapest packer brisket I've seen at Winco was fairly recent @ $4.28/lb, labeled "Choice or Better." Until then, the price was well over a $1/lb higher.

I have a different outlook on briskets than many people. Folks are often swayed by the meat grade, equating a higher grade of brisket to a better final result. Cooking shows, televised competitions, and BBQ restaurant reviews have fed this perspective. There's nothing wrong with that, and it definitely impacts steak muscles, but briskets? I'm not sold.

Smoking was about preserving meat or turning cheap tough cuts into tender, juicy offerings. With the exception of steak, I've always bought the cheapest meat available, especially briskets, regardless of grade. When smoked and rested correctly, I've not noticed any difference between Select, Choice, or Better. Maybe the higher grades are more forgiving, but I treat each the same and get tender, juicy results.

I've compared Select Grade briskets with "Choice or Better" when they were available in the same store. It seems to me there was more fat on the higher grades, but briskets don't get their tender juiciness from fat; they get it from melted collagen in the muscle fiber. I'll take more meat over fat any day.

Someday I'd love to smoke a lean, tough, bison brisket. Hmmm. I think one just went on my Christmas list.
Thanks. That answers my question. I will stick to a reasonably priced brisket from Albs instead of the over priced ones from those steak places.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky