brining a butterball turkey

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by just woody, Nov 19, 2006.

1. just woody

just woody Fire Starter

i have a butterball turkey and another brand, we plan on brining the other brand and smoking it... the butterball was a freebee, we've never had one

can a butterball be brined, what happends to all the butter and seasonings that are under the skik while in the brine??

2. meowey

meowey Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

My test turkey was a Butterball with 7% solution. It was just a tiny bit too salty after being brined. When I do the one for Thanksgiving, I'm going to reduce the salt in the brine a little. I didn't miss the "butter" as the meat was very juicy.

Link to thread
    http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=2457

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

3. jminion

jminion Meat Mopper OTBS Member

Anytime you have an enhanced meat the brinning has been done. If you are trying to have a moist bird the enhancement will give you that as long as you don't over cook it.

To add flavor injecting would be a better choice, don't add salt to the injection recipe.

4. I was going to ask, but knew if I searched someone else had already asked it. My friend got a free butterball from work, and we're going to smoke it for Thanksgiving, it's the 7% solution kind. I may try injecting. What sort of flavors would be suggested to inject, is there a technique(injection placement) that works best. Guess I'm going to have to make another run to the store for injection tools/ingredients! [​IMG]

5. I purchased a 12.25 lb butterball and brined it. It turned out great! Can't wait to do another this week.