Boston cut butt de-boning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

richtee

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 12, 2007
N. Oakland County, MI
OK D88de... and anyone else that cares to look...

I use an 8" boning knife. Sharpen it up, makes the job easier! Oh, and WATCH YER FINGERS! <the Jeff disclaimer>

Insert the knife along the top of the bone, keeping a bit of downward pressure on the blade so it follows the bone, then using a slight sawing motion, follow the bone to the right till ya hit a curve in it.

Do the same for the bottom of the bone..you'll feel the knife as it slides along it...keep it tight to the bone!

Lift the bone up, and insert knife tip behind the curve in the bone, freeing up the bottom side.

turn the butt 90° and slice along that edge, just like the first cut, top and bottom. then lift by bone again, and free up the meat behind the back curve of the bone. At this point, it's about out! A few lil slices and VOLIA!

Not always. Actually, rarely before smoking. This one is destined for the grinder and sausage :{) The OTHER one I bought is bone in for the smoker!

The pictures are very helpfull
thanks

but looking art your boney butt is not my first choice of activities.

I really liked how you got the bone out without mutilating the butt.
I usually run a slice paralell to the bone and sort of filet the bone out. I really want to do it the way you demonstrated.

This should be a sticky.
or in some sort of tutorial thread that is a read only thread.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky