Boston butt, to foil or not to foil?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fatty patty

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 26, 2014
Wisconsin
Ok, mastered ribs, on to Boston butt. I won't touch my ribs with foil but seems to be best way to seal in juices/flavor during last few hours on smoker when smokin' up a big pork shoulder. What ya'll think about this?

Hi Fatty...or is it Patty? Anyway, I believe in foil, and high heat for butts. But, for everyone who believes this, there is an alternate universe where someone believes the opposite. I think it really comes down to what you like to do, and flavor and texture are practically indiscernible if either method is done correctly.

The benefits of high heat and foil is time and fuel saved. If you have an electric smoker, and time doesn't matter then low and slow is great. I could write a book on the different opinions I've read just in this one forum on the subject.

My last butt smoke (2 8-pounders) I cooked on my SFB for 4 hours to smoke'em up, then wrapped them in foil and put them in my ancient electric smoker overnight. It was low and slow, but I had plenty of time and it was great. However, the exact same results can be had hot and fast. Look through the forums, or better yet, use the search box at the top of the page and you'll see what I mean.

I never foil....and I smoke at higher temps. Butts / shoulders have plenty of moisture and fat to keep them moist and flavorful. After years of smoking I've gone to as easy as possible. Rub it up, throw it on at 280 or so, get up to temp, then wrap to rest. If I'm feeling energetic I may spritz a couple times but I usually don't like opening the chamber if possible.

Reactions: kjtrail
I've done both, seems like it comes down to the texture of the bark. I normally wrap everything except for chicken, it is said to steam and retain its own moisture. But after I was stuck out in a beautiful lightning show one night in the rain with my beer and tongs in hand because of the dreaded stall (first time for that) I will wrap chicken as well. From what I understand wrapping your meat helps prevent this from happening.

Last edited:
Pastrami, brisket, pulled pork, I did not foil. Judging from other posts it does increase cooking time but I have no issue with them being dried out.

Next is BB ribs without foil

Equipment electric 30" MES

I usually pan and wrap once the internal hits 165 or 170. Then put back on until 205 and then in the cooler to rest.

I do this to catch all those great juices. Things really start to break down at 165 and I hate to lose all those juices. They usually have been on the smoker 6 to 8 hours before they reach that temp so you have plenty of smoke and bark by that point.

I do however fold a corner of the foil back to let some steam escape.

Even when I don't wrap it is not dry.  I do normally pan, mine.  The juices enhance so many  different dishes.  I don't get the bark that I like, but the home boss  
wife.gif
 likes her pulled pork softer so that is apparently how I prefer it as well. . . . . .

Either way, good luck.

no foil normally unless I screwed up and got a late start and want to hurry things along. I do pan, but underneath on it's own rack, to catch drippings. The drips are good mixed back into the meat and being lazy I hate drippins all over the bottom of the smoker I gotta clean up, usually the next day when not under the influence and it's a congealed mess....Willie

I do not foil my butts.  In fact, I have a 10.38 pounder on the smoker now (for the weekend) and I put it on about 8:45 this morning and it will not be done till later tonight.  Pull it after a rest and then throw it in the fridge.  Going camping with the grandkids so tomorrow night we will have Pulled Pork Sammies.
sausage.gif
  They love'em.

Unlike the other responses, I don't have a preference. To me, they are like two different dishes. I really like the texture of the meat when it is foiled and it still has a nice bark. When I don't foil, I get a great bark but the texture isn't as good as foiled. However, the texture is great with unfoiled and the bark is great with foiling just not as good as the alternative. 

I make whichever one I feel like.

Disco

This is a fun thread...got me wanting to test out both foiled and unfoiled and compare results. Just called my butcher and reserved 4x 9lbs butts. Gonna take two for the test and cure the other two for pulled ham in a few weeks.

This is a fun thread...got me wanting to test out both foiled and unfoiled and compare results. Just called my butcher and reserved 4x 9lbs butts. Gonna take two for the test and cure the other two for pulled ham in a few weeks.
We await your post!

Disco

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky