Boston Butt on MES30

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texastiger

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
Plano, TX
I'm currently smoking a 10-lb Boston Butt on my MES30 using my AMNPS with Pitmasters Blend pellets. I am following the instructions Bearcarver posted a while back as a step-by-step tutorial. Bear gave some great instructions! I used a homemade rub from my Dad's recipe, put the rub on yesterday and let it sit in the fridge overnight in plastic wrap. I'm about 5 hours in with the smoker set on 240 (started at 225, bumped up after 4 hours). IT is about 160 at this point.
Putting the meat on...
After 4 hours...
This is serious business!
More to come...

After about 7 hours, it looks like we're through the stall and the IT has started climbing again.

Last edited:
Great Start Tiger!!!
icon14.gif

Not working too hard, are you?
biggrin.gif

I'll Be back.

Bear

How many are a commin a visiting New Years, I am guessing you'd have to be pretty dang popular next week. Old buddies you had forgot showing up to crash on the floor?

GEAUX!

Just keep that smoker fired up and cycle the groceries thru that sucker. It'll have a good cure by the end of next week.

How many are a commin a visiting New Years, I am guessing you'd have to be pretty dang popular next week. Old buddies you had forgot showing up to crash on the floor?

GEAUX!

Just keep that smoker fired up and cycle the groceries thru that sucker. It'll have a good cure by the end of next week.
Happy, happy, happy . we've got a gathering coming up at church where my wife and I were asked to bring BBQ pork. We were both delighted for her to turn that responsibility over to yours truly... And we also have some visitors coming from Oklahoma for New Year's. Once word gets out, I probably will see some old friends I haven't seen in a while... so you're right, I better keep the smoker(s) hot! 

And I can't think of a better way to welcome 2014 than with smoke! 

Geaux Tigers!

After ~11 hours the IT reached 202*. I set the MES on 100* and let it stay (foiled) on the smoker for about 45 more minutes. It coasted up to 208* IT, just like Bear's. Rested it for about 1/2 hour more, then commenced pulling. I sure do like those Bear Paws. 

This pic is right after I took off the foil. I was getting ready to transfer it to a deeper pan for pulling, and that transfer ended up being a challenge because it was falling apart. 

Here are the hunks that it ended up in, and you can see the bone in the background, which fell out clean. 

This is the finished product..

It tastes delicious, although I was hoping for a little more smoke flavor. For some reason my AMNPS went out about half way through, and that has never happened before. I didn't pay much attention since I've never had it do that and I just assumed it would burn all the way down. Probably got some drip on it if I had to guess. I'll protect it better and pay more attention to it from now on. Still good eatin', regardless!

OUTSTANDING!  Who says Texas folk can't cook pork? 
That's what I'm talking about, B! When it comes to smoking just about any kind of critter, a Texan is bound to figure it out... Come on over to Plano and get a plate while it's still warm... I'll tell you, I've had this MES since last spring and I'm more pleased with it all the time, especially for longer smokes like this one.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky