Boosted T-bone!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
So many of you have seen my version of the vortex in the mini-wsm section. I call it the mini-booster. I finally had a night where I could cook for myself. So I brought out the mini and the booster. Another new item this smoke, Henderson's Relish.

So here's the grub for the first test of the mini-booster. I marinated the $16 dollar (on sale) T-bone in the Henderson's Relish for several hours. Coated the steak with salt, pepper, garlic powder. Let it sit until the tater was close to being done. Put the corn on about 30 minutes prior to the steak going on.

That's a 12" inch plate just to put the size of the steak into perspective

Mini-booster loaded and ready for lift off!

T-minus 3-2-1 Lift off!

Tater was on (no foil) for about 45 minutes. Then I wrapped it and put the corn on about 30 minutes prior to putting the steak on.

Tight fit! See that little kiss of smoke floating above the steak, yeah that's the good stuff!

Had to bust out the big plate for this meal!

Trimmed heavy for the old dog!

13 years young!

The Verdict:

Having never used a vortex, I guess this did what it's supposed to do. In the center there was a concentrated source of heat that radiated out to the edges to give an indirect cooking area. The tater and corn did well. It's hard to tell if there was much difference  for the steak because it was too big to take advantage of the indirect, direct surfaces.

Total cook time on the limited fuel was right at about 4 hours. plenty of time to do just about anything.

Now the star of the Show, Henderson's relish. This stuff is tasty and when I run out I will be ordering another bottle or three. Similar to Worcestershire but not. The steak was awesome!

ENJOY!!!!

congratulation_graphics_2.gif

points.gif

Awesome Case!

I think I would have chewed on that bone a while before giving it to the dog!

Great meal, everything looks delicious!

Point!

Al

Glad to see it worked out! That's a big steak and a nice guy go share so much with the dog!Thumbs Up

Awesome Case!

I think I would have chewed on that bone a while before giving it to the dog!

Great meal, everything looks delicious!

Point!

Al

Thanks Al! My dogs are lucky! That's one of my favorite parts of the t-bone too! No worries though I'll get mine this weekend when I take my youngest solo camping with out the dogs. I eat good when I camp!

Glad to see it worked out! That's a big steak and a nice guy go share so much with the dog!Thumbs Up

When I saw that steak I had to have it. Normally we get the stupid thin cut stuff. Hard to find one this thick. This choice steak was super tender so good!

Oh man! This post got me excited because I just picked up 5 nice porterhouse a on sale at the loca stop and shop! Your steaks looks great and I love how full you got that mini. Points!!!

Oh man! This post got me excited because I just picked up 5 nice porterhouse a on sale at the loca stop and shop! Your steaks looks great and I love how full you got that mini. Points!!!

Thank you! T-bones are my favorite steak to cook. When I was a kid we'd have them
For special occasions and it was one of the only things I was allowed to eat with my hands. Well at least the bone. Love gnawing on a T-bone!

points.gif
Yup, food looks great as usual from you.

That mini vortex????    That's great, I have one for the 22 weber.

I might just have to try to make one for the mini.

:points: Yup, food looks great as usual from you.

That mini vortex????    That's great, I have one for the 22 weber.

I might just have to try to make one for the mini.

Thanks Adam!

Yeah I decided that I needed to make one for the mini. I thought about making it and octagon or hexagon but I decided that was too much cutting and welding! I couldn't do a cone either because I don't have a way to roll steel. Hence the booster! 8" at the base, 5" at the top just about 3" high.

Alright Case... its your fault! I had to try. I relished the Tip.

Henderson's Relish that is...

Used Jeff's Texas rub with extra Rosemary and Hendersons Relish, vacuum sealed 24 hours. Then MES set to 220' with my own cherry chips to an IT of 125' then reverse seared on the Mini with lump to 135'. Foiled and wrapped in a cooler for 1 hour.

Sorry... no after pictures. But it was PERFECT! Lovin' the relish so far! Good call DS.

Alright Case... its your fault! I had to try. I relished the Tip.

Henderson's Relish that is...

Used Jeff's Texas rub with extra Rosemary and Hendersons Relish, vacuum sealed 24 hours. Then MES set to 220' with my own cherry chips to an IT of 125' then reverse seared on the Mini with lump to 135'. Foiled and wrapped in a cooler for 1 hour.

Sorry... no after pictures. But it was PERFECT! Lovin' the relish so far! Good call DS.
Yep its tasty stuff!

Wow.... That all looks great!!! I gotta find this hendersons relish. I have never heard of it until being here. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky