Boneless butts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

billham

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 8, 2010
Narragansett R.I.
Hi all

Quick question for you guys is there nay problem using boneless butts for a pp?

I got two of them from reastaurnt depot for short money for my area 1.09 a lb and want to try smoking them i love pulled pork but who doesnt? Will the cook times be different for boneless (i cook to temps but just wondering faster or slower on average). Im planning on injecting/brinig them and then a rub before smoking . any help is always appreciated

Thanx Bill

I use boneless all the time. You will cook them just like a bone in one. Cook to temp.

Yeah I smoke the all the time too. I've done both, inject and brine but not both. Brined seems to turn out well if you just take it to temp a little faster. Otherwise I don't brine but run them up to 200-205 nice and slow, then let them sit for 2-4 hours double wrapped in HDF.

The thing I like better about boneless is that you can get a lot more rub on the the surface of the butt, it kind of rolls open which you can rub it down inside and out, I think it give it more flavor, but that just me.

Good luck!!

cool.gif

No your smoke time will not change for the lack of a bone or not. It will still take all the time it needs to smoke and come out good and juicy and delicious too.

cool.gif

No your smoke time will not change for the lack of a bone or not. It will still take all the time it needs to smoke and come out good and juicy and delicious too.
 Actually a bone in should get done alittle sooner but not much. Of course too many variables to guarantee that but as the bone heats up it will transfer the extra heat thru the interior of the meat allowing it to cook quicker. I prefer bone-in as it also seems to give more flavor to the meat.

Bone-in gets my vote. Agree with what Flash said, it adds a little extra flavor and tenderness that boneless does not have.

I have ate them both...I can say I won't pass on either one...Both are good eating...I don't eat the bone, so boneless makes more sense to me...LOL..

good luck with your smok'in...

Steve

Actually a bone in should get done alittle sooner but not much. Of course too many variables to guarantee that but as the bone heats up it will transfer the extra heat thru the interior of the meat allowing it to cook quicker. I prefer bone-in as it also seems to give more flavor to the meat.
I am a believer of the opposite, that a bone does not conduct heat and that the area around the bone would not cook as quickly.

I usually remove the bone but have smoked them both ways.

I use bone-in mostly but have done boneless.  The reason I like to use bone-in is that I use the bone as an indicator of doneness. When the butt reaches an internal temp of 195°-205° the bone just slips right out.  If you tug on it and it doesn't give, the butt still needs more low and slow.  Of course if you foil your butt, you'll have to undo the foil to get to the bone and that's were having a good digital probe thermometer comes into play-cook it to temp and forget about the bone test.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky