Boneless Boston - Need Advice!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cjclemens

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 20, 2016
Illinois
OK, at the moment, I have a couple boneless Boston roasts in my modified Char-Broil electric smoker.  One is a shade over 6 lbs and the other is a shade under 5.  I'd like to get them perfectly cooked for pulled pork sandwiches for a family reunion lunch tomorrow.  Whats the best way to handle them?

My plan was to cook them to 165, wrap with foil, and bring them up to 205.  That way I can pull it tonight and just reheat tomorrow right before lunch.  However, a friend suggested that I just run it to 165, wrap it and rest it in the cooler and reheat and slice tomorrow.  Which method do you think would be better and why?  Any quick suggestions would be appreciated - I think I have about an hour, before I need to make a decision!

Your friend's method would probably work, but if it was me, I'd stick to your original plan. Pulled pork reheats very well, and that way you don't have to worry about it being done at lunch time. And my personal preference is pulled pork over sliced any time.

Good luck! Be sure to let us know how it turns out... Thumbs Up

Red

Go as you planned it would take longer to get up to PP temp if you pull it early. Check out Chef JimmyJ finishing sauce Good Stuff

Richie

Thanks for the suggestions!  The alarm on my el-cheapo temp monitor went off about 20 minutes ago.  I had it set for 165.  I brought the roasts into the kitchen and wrapped them in foil.  When I did, I double checked the temp with a hand probe, and it read 160.  I think it might be time to upgrade to a nicer monitor.  Anyway, its back in the cooker for the slow roast to 205.  Thanks again for the advice.  I definitely agree - I think it'll be much easier to pull the pork tonight and reheat tomorrow.

Now - do you have any suggestions on how to reheat?  Can I just toss it in the crockpot and set it on low?

I do. Make a little finishing sauce to add for moisture and make sure to save the drippings left in the foil for that stuff. I add apple juice to the foil when I do wrap but most of the time I just go naked all the way now days. More smoke and I like it smoky.

8.5 hours, and done!  I think it turned out OK.  Its not overly smoky, but I can make a few changes next time to optimize the smoke flavor.  I'm still pretty new at this game, so the learning curve is fairly steep yet.  I went ahead and pulled the roasts directly into the crock pot.  There wasn't much pulling to it - it kinda fell apart on its own as I was handling it.  Before lunch tomorrow, I'll just put the crock pot on low and serve with sauce on the side. 

I did manage to save about 1 1/2 cups of drippings out of the foil, but I'm not sure what to do with it.  Should I just pour it into the crock pot before I turn it on, or do I need to mix anything else with it?

Just a little side note - I am now officially a huge fan of this site.  I wondered about taking the time to sign up, but it was totally worth it.  This place is a great way for rookies like me to connect with veteran smokers.  Smoking meat (and doing a good job of it) isn't easy to jump right into.  Being able to tap into everyone's collective experience here is invaluable.  Its already saved me a lot of time, frustration, and potentially ruined meats.  The latter of which is a cardinal sin, in this household...but I digress.

Here's the finished product.  Both roasts together were enough to, more or less, fill a 4-quart crock pot.  I hope there's leftovers!

Looks good CJ...Your guests are gonna love that pulled pork! They will likely heap praise upon you...then beg you to smoke something for every family gathering from this day forward!

Now, your question about the drippings...pour it up, and store it in the fridge until the fat separates and sets (or, if you have one, you can use a fat separator). Skim the fat off and pour the remaining de-fatted juice over your pork before you reheat. I also like to splash maybe a quarter cup to a half cup of apple juice in there too. This keeps the meat nice and moist, and those drippings add some tasty, smokey flavor back to the pork.

Red

Last edited:
Yea what Red said, and don't forget the finishing sauce. That will take it to the next level.

Al

Unfortunately, I didn't have time to make any finishing sauce this time around.  I ended up having to help do a bunch of the setup stuff.  All I did was put the drippings and 1/2 cup of apple juice in the bottom of the crock pot to warm it up.  I still think it turned out well, and I did get a lot of compliments on it.  I'm gonna chalk it up as a success, especially since we were feeding a fairly large crowd.  When I do the next one, it will be for immediate family, and I'll definitely take the time to do the finishing sauce.  Immediate family does tend to be a little more appreciative of the extra details.  Thanks again for all the help!

Update - I didn't see any reason to start a whole new thread for it, but I finally got around to making another pork shoulder yesterday.  This time, I went with a bone-in cut, and I think it worked out much better than the boneless I used last time.  That's mainly because the boneless roast had a net wrap on it.  When I pulled the netting off, it took a lot of the bark off.  Without the netting, all of the bark stayed with meat, adding more of the smoke and caramelized rub flavors to the finished product.  I also made the finishing sauce that's in the sticky for this section - 110% worth the effort.  I'd say the finishing sauce doesn't just kick it up a notch - it's totally next level.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky