Bloomin' onion and dilly beans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

squirrel

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 7, 2010
augusta ga
Howdy all!

I'm on a junk food kick today and I wanted something fried, spicey and garlicy. Being close to Vidalia, GA, I recently got ahold of the motherload onion:

eaebe9b7_IMG_5714.jpg

I mixed up some flour, salt, pepper, dried egg powder, garlic powder, onion powder and a hint of cayenne pepper. I then proceeded to "bloom" the onion by cutting it just so. You don't have to have one of those fancy little gadgets to cut a bloom, just don't cut all the way through and open up your "petals" very gently. I soaked it in ice water for about 15 minutes to help open her up a little more.

3d90b076_IMG_5715.jpg

62aea52b_IMG_5716.jpg

The key to getting a good crunchy onion is to dip it in the dry flour mix, getting it all in between the petals, then mix some of the flour with a little water to make a soupy batter, dip the onion in that, then back to the dry mix. Let it rest for 5 minutes.

3ab69be7_IMG_5718.jpg

fdc567df_IMG_5719.jpg

Drop it in the hot oil, 375F, for about 5-6 minutes, drain and there ya go.

dbb69b4a_IMG_5720.jpg

Make a dipping sauce by mixing mayo and your favorite spicey BBQ sauce. I also had some dilly beans I made a few days ago, yummy, crunchy, garlic love.

408fdc34_IMG_5721.jpg

4d76817d_IMG_5723.jpg

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!

I still have family in Vidalia  -- my cousin Angela who is 10 days younger than me.  We both had blond hair and blue eyes growing up, and everyone that didn't know us thought that we were twins.  I love her so much.  She's a pharmacist and is married to another pharmacist, and they own a pharmacy in town  They have a couple of gorgeous daughters, too, whom I love very much but haven't seen since the oldest one was just knee-high and the youngest was still an infant.  I think that they're both teenagers now.  Sucks that I couldn't be around for them.

I also have a Great Aunt and a 2nd cousin in Lyons, which is where I grew up.  I love my Aunt Jerry so much, she would always hug me no matter what.

Also, my Dad's parents (my grandparents) lived right behind us, and we lived in a house that Grandad had built, and he had a vegetable garden between us.  I would help him plow it and snap beans, etc.  He was so good to me.  They're both gone now due to cancer, though

My only point is that I love me some Vidalia Sweet Onions, and I have a pretty good understanding about them since that's exactly where I grew up.

That onion looks awesome thanks for the step by step
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
The beans are gonna be good to I'm sure

Your onion looks real good thanks for the qview...Try dipping those beans in the batter and frying them...there so good.

myth - That is a great story! I didn't know you were a Georgia boy! Blonde hair and blue eyes huh? We might be related!

LOL Warren! Yep, I think there's some sorta law that states only a limited number of counties in the state of GA can grow the "trademark" vidalia onion.

Georgia is also the three "P" largest grower - peanuts, peaches and pecans

I can certainly beleive the pecan part, in the county I live in you can't drive from one end to the other without seeing a large, beautiful pecan tree, heck I have nearly thirty on my property!

Last edited:
Dang Lady you just gave an Indiana boy an Idea for the cookout we have next weekend. But of course I will have to make a few test batches :)

Hello Lady Squirrel,

I'm going to try it with Maui Onions.  I hope it comes out half as good as the one you made.
smile.gif

Great looking post Squirrel - that is a good looking onion for sure - making me hungry !!

cool.gif

Now that's so cool there cheryl you are still pulling off some really good looking recipes. I just have to try this one as soon as I can find a onion that as big as my head. Thanks for the recipe and the step by step directions I need it sometimes. Hey if the wife says it's OK will you move down here in Florida. Heck I'll even let you rout for the Bulldogs sometimes.
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

LOL Mark! A bit ironic since I am sitting here reading your post with my new Gator t-shirt on! Thanks again buddy!

Tonite is my last night posting for a while and I'm trying to reach the 300 mark! LOL!

Good pics, good instructions, and great food. Congrats and a thumbs up for your thread.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Last edited:
That looks great!! i had a kit to make them my ex wife bought and they didnt come out looking like yours, nice job. The kit thing was a pita and it said you had to soak the damn onion over night, who wants to wait that long for a greasy treat? Now i want to try one again!!

i am making one of these now and he res a good recipe for the sauce it tastes like the restaurants
  • Dipping Sauce:
  •  
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons cream-style horseradish sauce
  • 1/3 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 pinch ground black pepper
  • 1/3 teaspoon cayenne pepper

I hope you're gonna post some pics! That's a great sauce recipe, thanks for sharing!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky