Big Green Egg

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

langmotorsports

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
West Fargo ND
Just acquired a Big Green Egg through a fundraising auction and and looking for any input from anyone who has one or has used one........Thanks!

just wanted to say congrats,

I have never used one, but I have heard good things about them.

I was checking them out this past Saturday at a hardware store that sells them, seem like a solid cooker, expensive, but solid.

I used my buddies all last summer and liked it. My two buddies use theirs all the time. I was looking to buy one but I couldn't justify spending the money on it right now so I made a UDS instead and they are very comparable. The egg has all kinds of accessories and stuff to go with it but they all cost plenty of money. Its a very good smoker its just spendy. You will love smoking on it! Not to lure you away from this forum but there are lots of big green egg forums if you are looking for idea's accessories etc.

Thanks for the replies guys! I will definitley let you know how it works. By the way I have checked out the BGE sites and they are nowhere near as informative and helpful as smoking meat is.

I agree 100% with that statement. That is why I said I didn't want to scare you away from this site. They may be able to help you in some instances better with BGE set up or some tricks to try on the egg etc. since the majority of them are BGE smokers but as far as just pure smoking goes (time/temps/recipes/different kind & cuts of meat, etc.) from my experience is this site is WAY more informative. We also have several Egg Heads on this forum so you aren't by any means the only person on here that smokes with an Egg. Welcome to the forum. Kind of funny we both live in the same town.

You will love the BGE from great steaks to low and slow smokes! Stay tuned on this great site for the great info !

Seriously, whatever you do, do not use "LIGHTER FLUID" in your egg. Purchase a chimney & some lump. Charcoal is good as well but they make BGE lump just for the egg, so try that & see if you like it. It only comes in 20 lb. bags though, if I am not mistaken. But do not use "LIGHTER FLUID" as everything you "EVER" cook in the BGE will have that taste to it. Good luck, congratulations & enjoy that puppy. It is supposed to be the best oven, grill & smoker on the market. Also, don't knock it over or you can kiss that ceramic item goodbye.

"OOH OOH OOH" Horsehack holding up his arm!!! Get a pizza stone! Change your name to Vinnie and make Puerto Rican pizza's!
icon_redface.gif
I have no idea where this is going.
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif
Nevermind at my futile attempt at humor.

Hey Lang forget the Big Green Egg Lump wood (the only place I have found it in town is at Nodak which isn't cheap) and head over to Sam's club they have 40lb bags of lump on sale for around $15. I have 4 bags and love it so far and its more for cheaper.

isnt the Sams lump "Best of the West" brand? It rates "below average" on the nakedwhiz rankings of lump...

just curious

Big Green Eggs are terrible and you will want to get rid of it as soon as possible. Now I really care about you so I will help you get rid of it. Just ship it to my place and I will dispose of it properly, for your sake.

thats what I thought as well, & couldnt understand how this place was charging $20 for a bag of the BGE,

I can get tht RO lump for a little over $8 for I think an 18# bag..

Yep!

Here's the Naked Whiz review;

"This is some nice lump. It is manufactured by Royal Oak for Big Green Egg. We have heard rumors that Royal Oak saves their best lump for BGE. We have reviewed Royal Oak's own brand and found it to be as good as the BGE lump. This bag consisted of mostly usable sized pieces, very few chips and little dust. We found some unburned pieces, but probably only 8-10. Some of the lump comes from the edges sawn off of logs. You could see saw marks on one side and bark on the other. This was by far, the most bark we've seen so far, but then it appears to be all good wood, some the edges from a lumber mill. Some people don't like bark and claim it has a bitter flavor, so if you are one of them, you might want to pick through the lump to get the bark out. As for smell, this lump has a very mild smokey smell, less strong that, say, Maple Leaf.
One other word about what we found in the bag. Check out the photos and you'll see we found some funky looking rainbow pieces. These pieces were definitely the same type of wood as the rest of the bag. We believe that some pieces, depending on whatever, come out this way. However, these pieces were NOT pine or some other funky wood that you wouldn't want in your grill.

Also, since this lump is made by Royal Oak, you might wish to read the review of Royal Oak for more information. Normally, we don't take the price into account in rating lump charcoal since it can often vary greatly depending on where you buy it. However, Big Green Egg lump is consistently one of the most expensive charcoals on the market. Considering you can get the same charcoal from Royal Oak at half the price, we feel this knocks this charcoal down a notch to our Recommended rating."

If you'd stop being funny, and really concentrate, you might be able to catch that little piggy!
PDT_Armataz_01_25.gif

Bearcarver

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky