Best ingrediant to add heat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument></xml><![endif]

I use New Mexican Red Chile powder both Mild and Hot.  This Chile powder comes in Mild, Medium, Hot and Extra Hot.  Extra hot is for those people who can munch Habaneros with impunity. 

New Mexican Hatch Chile powder comes in red or green.  There is a subtle difference in taste.  I say subtle because I can’t tell the difference othewr than color, but my son who is a chef tells me there is a difference.  This chile adds a pleasing flavor and the heat can be tailored by purchasing the desired heat range.  

I also bought an imported product, Calabrian Red Chile Powder.  I wanted to replicate the deep red coloring of the mixed bulk sausage I had been researching on various blog sites.  The recipes just say ‘Chile Powder’ as though that is a universal standard but in fact, it varies with the variety of pepper used. 

This import was fantastic!  It added great flavor and had a slow build of heat in your mouth that was deceptive.  Initially it seemed to be sweet (no heat) then bloomed slowly to a delightful heat level.  My Chili comfort zone cuts off at 10,000 to 12,000 Scoville units with six to eight thousand Scovilles being my preferred very hot.

The first time I bought this product I found it on Amazon at a steep price.  I found another source that was expensive but not bad.  After finishing the original 53 Oz (1500 grams) container I tried to buy more;  it is still available but the price has more than doubled to insane levels.  If you have the wallet, this is great stuff, otherwise stick to any good quality chili powder you find with your preferred heat level

In one of Chef Paul Prudhome’s cookbooks (Fiery Foods That I Love) he advises creating a mix of various dried hot and mild Chilis such as Guadjillos, Anchos, Chile Mulattos, Seranos and Chile De Arbols to produce a full flavor spectrum.  The Chile Mulattos add a chocolate note.  Prudhome recommends 5 or 6 different Chiles for each application even though his recipes specified only one.  Of course, if you want to try this you will need a spice grinder or a mortar and pestle plus strong wrists.

Last edited by a moderator:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky