Best ingrediant to add heat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

okiecat

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
SW Oklahoma
Looking for the best and easiest ingrediant to add heat to any sausage recipe. Like brats or hot links or slim jims. Ive used jalapenos, tobasco, and that chinesse stuff "that starts with an S". Not really working.

I use pequin alot. Nice mild heat.

Last edited:
Old fashion Red Pepper Flakes are the most common. Then heading up the index, Chile de Arbol, Cayenne,  Thai Bird Chile, all the way to Dry Habanero, Ghost Peppers, Naga Viper, Trinidad Scorpion and the Carolina Reaper ( 2,200,000 SHU). And a huge variety in between. IMO, beyond Habanero, you are just into self abuse...JJ

Reactions: wpnsexpert78
If I want to change the flavor profile I usually use Habanero.  If I just want to add a bit of heat without a drastic change in flavor I use cayenne powder.

If you are using paprika, switch to hot paprika.

As said above, crushed red pepper & cayenne are good ones.

If you run out of options, there is a local shop by me where I can buy pure capsaisin crystals for $80/oz.

Cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper is always an easy way to heat it up. If you like the jalapeno taste try cutting some fresh ones open and using the seeds or removing the membrane and chopping it up that should add some extra heat. 

Thanks for all the help. Been using cayene pepper too. May just need to put more in. Red pepper flakes are too mild. I agree about the habenero being the top, i still want flavor not a scalded mouth.

Old fashion Red Pepper Flakes are the most common. Then heading up the index, Chile de Arbol, Cayenne,  Thai Bird Chile, all the way to Dry Habanero, Ghost Peppers, Naga Viper, Trinidad Scorpion and the Carolina Reaper ( 2,200,000 SHU). And a huge variety in between. IMO, beyond Habanero, you are just into self abuse...JJ
yeahthat.gif
I Completely agree

OS

It depends on the type of heat you want. I often find that simple fresh ground black pepper can give a sufficient nice rounded heat. That hard chilli whack is sometimes too unsubtle. Another way of adding subtle "heat" is to use something like szechuan pepper. It does not so much give heat but it is mildly unaesthetic and so gives the impression of just having eaten something hot - but without the initial burn.

I prefer to mix my heat with flavour and these days use mostly Ancho. Some of which I grow and smoke at home.

I like (fresh) red pepper flake run through the coffee grinder to chop into small pieces, and add additional cayenne pepper to the meat. This will give you a good heat for sausage. Doesnt make sense cause there both from the same pepper but probably different cultivars. works for me

Joe

I know this sounds nuts but I have used smoked dried ghost peppers that I ground down to a powder. 1 or 2 peppers is all I used for a small batch of sausage for a test run with the backup of other peppers and it wasn't bad at all. It actually added a woodsy smoky flavor. I still use the same peppers for a grilled blackened shrimp I make a lot.

I personally love to use cayenne pepper. I can grow it myself at home, it's easy to grow, and just as easy to dry and grind up to make power or use in chili, sausage, hot sauce, and just about anything where you want a little heat. I also make a super simple basting sauce for bbqing that contains only cayenne, salt, and water. Overall, I find cayenne easy to control, versatile, and has a nice flavor that goes well with just about anything. There are plenty of other great peppers out there, but I'm definitely a big cayenne fan!

Did anyone mention paprika? ... the hot Hungarian stuff not the McCormicks or whatever you get at the supermarket. I bought a can of the regular and hot a few months back and have been adding it to my rubs. It adds a great flavor and a touch of heat that is quite subtle.

Jalapeno powder over here.  Also like Rabbithutch said, hot Hungarian paprika (which as I understand it is regular paprika with cayenne added already).  I like the jalapeno as it also adds flavor and you can still control the heat and not everyone who eats my sticks and sausage is into heat. I'm sort of middle ground on heat myself.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky