Bellies are not just for bacon!! First try at confit! With Q-view!! Money shot!!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
can't wait to see how this ends

110.gif

cheers.gif

That looks really clean Craig. And way better than store bought. Fried chicken is definitely better fried in lard. My wife's grandmother swore by it.
  It smells great too..Of course I am addicted to all things pork. I was considering getting a few of the heads and making head cheese..but I think that might make the Woman be calling her daddy...hahahahahahaha...

After I did some reading about hydroenated stuff its no wonder lots of folks don't use store bought lard anymore.

Craig

We have confit!!!!

After 36 hours in the cure/brine..took them out and patted dry.

Then into my small D.O. (8in wide 4 in deep) with a quart of the new lard.

Got simmering on the stove top then into convection oven at 250.

2 hours 15 minutes later it is fork tender!!!

Cooling at room temp then into a bucket covered with the lard for a week.

Then we are gonna fry them up and see how it tastes...it smells great right now!!

Craig

502eeb31_nn001.jpg

9f277b8d_nn002.jpg

181ec57a_nn003.jpg

0dd06523_nn004.jpg

775df802_nn005.jpg

Have a great day!!!!

I forgot to mention that one of the by products of making lard is cracklins...

With salt  mmmmmmmm.

13f45f2a_001.jpg

Looks tasty Craig!!

That stuff will grease up the walls of the arteries, so the cholesterol doesn't have a good place to grab ahold of !!!  
biggrin.gif

Bear

Craig, Si Señor...JJ

Last edited:
HEY  BIAVIIAN!!!,   Quit buyin' so much BELLIES, my Butcher down at Nell's has them priced the same as LOIN! Says the demand in PA is SO HIGH he has to pay a PREMIUM!!!...JJ

Whom are you buying from? East Berlin is a bit of a haul.

I get them from a local butcher..Country Butcher Shop in Carlisle.  I never thought of asking Nells if they have them.  I had just assumed that no grocery stores would have them except for maybe Karns or Wegmans. The butcher always has them in stock and will even sell you partial bellies if you want. 

Once I get my new fridge (my current one is unplugged because it won't go below 42-43) I plan on doing another round of bacon and may try this Confit out.

Last edited:
Craig, Si Señor...JJ
I have wanted to make carnitas for a while..

Just cant find a copper pot big enough... used yet.

Craig

I get them from a local butcher..Country Butcher Shop in Carlisle.  I never thought of asking Nells if they have them.  I had just assumed that no grocery stores would have them except for maybe Karns or Wegmans. The butcher always has them in stock and will even sell you partial bellies if you want. 

Once I get my new fridge (my current one is unplugged because it won't go below 42-43) I plan on doing another round of bacon and may try this Confit out.
The recipe sez to use duck fat..I couldn't get it here, so see if ya got it up there.

If not find some non hydrogenated lard...

It was fun rendering it, but hard to find fresh back and leaf fat..

Craig

I can't wait to see the final result!!! I'm gonna have to be ordering some more bellies and jowels, my winter bacon project was fantastic, but I'm just about out of product now!!!  Not gonna give so much away next time!!  I'm gonna have to try this.  Not sure if I'll be able to find duck fat around me either...great post!!!  Might have to try renedering the fat...my pops is wanting to make his mom's pie crust, which calls for lard.

icon14.gif

Got the bucket out of the fridge, pulled about 10 pieces out, scraped the lard off and let them get up tp room temp.

Got the grill going with lard from the bucket in my small D.O. to 350

Fried 4 pieces at a time for about 3 minutes.

Very tasty!!  The fresh from our herb garden thyme and a very small amount cinnamon made it very different.

Extremely fattening!!!! Very rich!!

Gonna put several small containers in the freezer and use on special occaisions.

I am very happy with the way this turned out. And thanks for watching!!

ea8bdfaa_001.jpg

2cece02d_002.jpg

fc7f7cf0_004.jpg

a249cc76_006.jpg

Have a great day!!

Craig

Wow!!

Those last two pictures shouldn't even be allowed on an open forum!!!

Awesome BearView !!!

Thanks Craig,

Bear

Thanks fellas!!

It was a fun project...learned lotsa new stuff!!

Craig

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky