Beer Can Chicken with QVIEW

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

raceyb

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Beer Can Chicken

Chicken+017.jpg

T.gif
oday was the day I have been looking forward to all week. I had promised that I was going to do beer can chicken and the day had finally arrived. I love chicken and there is no better chicken then roasted in the smoker after a long brine bath. I started off with 3 chickens, averaging about 6-7 lbs each. I soaked them in a brine bath for approximately 12 hours. The brine recipe is below.

2 gallons purified drinking water
2 cups kosher salt
11/2 cups of brown sugar
4 sprigs rosemary
6 sprigs thyme
20 pepper corns

Chicken+005.jpg

Chicken+003.jpg

Bring one gallon of the water to a slight boil and reduce heat to simmer. Add herbs and pepper corns and simmer for 10 minutes to steep some aroma from them. Turn off the heat and add the salt and sugar slowly, stirring as you pour. When the water turns clear, add 8 cups of ice cubes to begin a quick cool down of the brine. Transfer your brine from the stock pot to a plastic bucket or cooler that you are going to use to brine with and add the other gallon of water. I buy 2 one gallon containers of drinking water and place one in the fridge the night before making my brine. I want to add cold water to my brine to ensure the poultry doesn't sit at a warm temperature for too long. I also leave the top loose so cold air can easily enter.

Chicken+001.jpg

I place my 5 gallon brine bucket into my fridge and let it sit there overnight, for at least 12 hours. One hour prior to smoking your chicken, remove the bucket from the fridge and crack the lid. This will take some of the chill off of the chicken. At this point, you can clean your smoker if needed, soak a few big chunks of your favorite wood (I used Hickory) and get your chimney starter going. For this cook I used both Cowboy brands of wood chunks and lump coal.

Chicken+005.jpg

Once the chimney was started, I removed the chickens from the brine and patted dry. I inserted beer can chicken racks into the birds' cavities and rubbed them down good with Magic BBQ rub, which is available for mail shipping on the left navbar. I swear by this rub for all of my BBQ! Once the coals were ready, I poured them into my modified charcoal pan and placed the chickens on the lower smoker rack. I would need the room on the top soon.

Chicken+013.jpg

I par boiled some red potatoes meanwhile and mixed some mayo, basil and Parmesan cheese to mix in with them. I mixed em all together and placed the foil pan on the top rack of the smoker once the chicken breasts hit 155 degrees. I was only looking to brown the potatoes a little bit, as they were mostly cooked.

Chicken+018.jpg

When the chicken breasts reached 170 degrees, I pulled them and the potatoes. The chicken had a wonderful aroma. I let it set for about the longest 15 minutes of my life. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, I cut into the chicken to see some of the most juiciest meat ever. I got to tell ya, I'll ALWAYS brine my chicken. The potatoes came out great, but next time I'm going to add a bit more mayo.

Chicken+008.jpg
Chicken+015.jpg
Chicken+016.jpg

I hope you enjoyed reading about my adventure today. I used small thumbnails to prevent those that don't want the full sized pics from having to download them. If you'd like to see a bigger pic, please click on the thumbnail.

Hey RaceyB,

That is a fantastic looking bird. Great how to and pics of the final product.
points.gif
for a great post!

Thanks for the points BBQ.... I LOVE your dogs!!!!

Great looking birds!!! I assume you're cooking with beer or coke in a can.

I've got a MES and a Charbroil (charcoal model) grill. Any suggestions on using a smoker vs. a grill for Beercan birds?

Thanks again!

Patrick from Overland Park, KS
KS Smokepole

Nice thorough post.

You may havce seen them, but Cabela's has real nice, heavy duty double beer can chicken holders. They have handles on each side so bringing them in is a piece of cake compared to my old traditional cromed stand.

I couldnt find the pic/link. But it's this one, except with two can holders on one platform
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

So, did you shred the chicken, or just let people eat the parts of their choice?

I cut the chicken up in quarters. I forgot to get a pic of that. that way you could get a 1/4 of dark or white. tomorrow I'll make chicken salad and post about it as well. Right now I'm reducing my Turkey stock and picking meat off my boiled carcass.

I used Dr Pepper instead of beer. The rub was Magic BBQ Rub.

I love the Holidays, so much to cook and do.... St louis ribs this weekend for holiday party! Stay tuned!
icon_mrgreen.gif

Thanks for the comments and points. I appreciate the resopnses that make writing and posting such a joy here.

Man those are some good looking chickens and the beer can looks like it made them awful tastey too.
points.gif

Nice lookin chickens. I need to try the beer can trick. I always brine the birds but I usually just smoke them. I will start looking for the racks. Gotta try it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky