Beer Can Chicken with Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

funh2o

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
Farmington, MN
Smoked a couple of chickens today using the beer can method. Chickens weighed 3.5 Lbs each. Brined them for 4 hours in a salt brine with nothing added. Used Jeff's Rub on one and a store bought Lemom Pepper on the other just to experiment a little. Weather was about 45 degrees with a wind at 28 MPH gusts a little higher. Got the temp on the smoker up to 225 degrees and put the birds in and added smoke.
2 Hrs 45 min....Smoker temp 234...Internal...138
3 Hrs 15 min....Smoker temp 240...Internal...150
5 Hrs Smoker temp..246...Internal....163

Pulled birds at 167 internal. Long smoke was because of the wind I'm thinking.

Anyway, here is some Q-View

Supper was good with the chickens some home made potatoe salad and green beans.

Birds in Brine

Rubs applied

Birds in smoker

Birds are done

Home Made Potatoe Salad

Great Meal

Hope the pictures turn out alright

Happy Smokin

Steve

Fine looking meal steve. Nice job!!! nice clear pics too...makes me feel like I was right there with ya.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Sorry about the jumbo pics Guys and Gals. I have to learn a few more things in Photobucket.

Steve

great lookin drunken chickens!!!!!! great job, thats kind of how i got started into the smoking when i found out about grilling with indirect heat, natural progression. or could it be evolution!!!!!!

Hey dude, those pics look good to me. The bigger the better..Its almost like the plate is right in front of me... anyway good job
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Leeman, it usually shouldn't take that long to do the yard birds, but like I said it was 45 degrees out and the wind was blowing pretty good. You should smoke by internal temp of the meat and not by time. Sometimes it just takes longer due to weather conditions. If I do them again in the same weather conditions, I will use something to block the wind and maybe blanket the smoker if needed.

Steve

Looks great I hope you saved the carcass smoked chicken bones make the best chicken broth.I also save the bones from smoked rib roasts.Making broth out of smoked bones adds tremendous flavor to your soups/stews

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky