Been lurking for awhile and want to thank everyone

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

deepdivetc

Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
I have been reading reviews and advice on here for quite some time now. I am very new to the smoking game and I wanted something that would help me with the learning and not create as much frustration. It was hard to make a decision, but I think that I have made the right one for me. I wanted something that would help maintain temp, allow for decent size cooks, can be used as a grill as well as smoke, one that would not totally break the bank, and most of all I did not want to have to replace in 3 or 4 years from wearing out like all of my gas grills in the past. I decided to go with the Yoder 640 and I think that it fits the bill. It just showed up today and I am very excited to get a day off work and try to play with it for the first time. Like I said I just wanted to thank the community for having so much info out there for someone new like me. I will be reading much much more to help me along.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone. I finally got to use it for the first time the other night. Just did some brats and dogs just to get used to it a little bit and the controls. I will say that it is a little different to get used to when you are used to only using a gasser grill. I get a few days off over the 4th so I am going to try a butt, some ABT's, and a fatty.... I figure why not just dive in. I want to play with the baffle on it a little as I seemed to get some temp differences from one end of the smoker to the other. Almost a 50 deg difference, but from what I have been reading I think I had the baffle in the wrong position.

Deep, 

Trust the controller and ignore the Maverick, you are going to see temp swings that look huge. I have my damper between the 7th and 8th rungs using the side shelf as reference.

I would suggest you look at the Yoder Community Forums, Herb from Yoder has all of the information in that forum you could want and if you still have a question, email their customer support and they will respond. Also, if you are on FaceBook there is a Yoder YS Pellet Grill fan page, it is not for support but a number of the people from ATBBQ are on the page.

Thank you jtrainor56,

Tonight I am going to start my first real smoke... putting on the Pork Butt tonight at 225 and let it go overnight and check it in the morning... then about 3 hours before being done I am going to put on some ABT's and a fatty along with some baked beans... I figure lets start it out right... wish me luck I hope this turns out... I dont want to think I made a mistake by buying this instead of another gasser.

Thank you jtrainor56,
Tonight I am going to start my first real smoke... putting on the Pork Butt tonight at 225 and let it go overnight and check it in the morning... then about 3 hours before being done I am going to put on some ABT's and a fatty along with some baked beans... I figure lets start it out right... wish me luck I hope this turns out... I dont want to think I made a mistake by buying this instead of another gasser.

You definitely didn't make a mistake...you bought a top drawer pit! Good luck with the overnight cook...be sure to post some qview! Thumbs Up

Red

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky