Beef Round Sirloin Top Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

woodcutter

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 2, 2012
Marathon Wisconsin
I picked up a 10lb Roast from Sam's Club yesterday for $2.77 lb. I put it in a oven bag for turkeys with 2 bottles of Italian dressing overnight.

I didn't rinse the roast, just let it drip a while.

I made a heavy broth with 1 cup water and a lot of beef bullion and added to the foil pan that the roast will be smoking in. My plans are to smoke it at 225 until 140-145. I have my AMNPS lit at both ends with apple pellets and my chip pan has red oak. I want to give it as much smoke as possible because I'm guessing it will be a fairly short 6-8 hour smoke and it is a large piece of meat.

This is something I wanted to try for a while and would like to slice for sandwiches. This is the first time for me and this round roast so if someone has any experience or ideas they would be appreciated! More to follow as the rainy day continues.

I don't know , man....are you a well done guy as far as how you like to cook your meat? Top round is a little leaner and it might dry out if you cook it to well done area.
If it was me , I think I'd pull it a little earlier and check it out....as my dad always said " you can always cook it a little more , but you can't uncook it"
Just a thought. I mean , it might turn out fine....I just feel like when you get into roast beef type cuts you gotta be careful.

I don't know , man....are you a well done guy as far as how you like to cook your meat? Top round is a little leaner and it might dry out if you cook it to well done area.
If it was me , I think I'd pull it a little earlier and check it out....as my dad always said " you can always cook it a little more , but you can't uncook it"
Just a thought. I mean , it might turn out fine....I just feel like when you get into roast beef type cuts you gotta be careful.
What are you thinking 135? 130? I'm really in the dark. It is a big hunk and will take a little time to cool.

Todd sounds like a good plan! How done do you want it? Rare 125-130, med/rare 130-135, med 135-140. med/well 140-150, well 160+, that has been my experience with beef. I pull mine out at 130* because I like it on the rare side, even to thin slice for sammies.
Remember a 10lber like that will probably cook a good bit after you take it off.

Sounds like you're gonna have some nice roast beef Sammie's. Dave is right a piece that big may carry over another 5* while resting.

This is gonna be Great, Todd !!!

Last time I did a big hunk, it was a Sirloin Tip Roast, I pulled it at 137*, and it coasted to 142*. Perfect for my taste!!

110.gif

Bear

My mom always liked her beef well done and us boys liked rare so my dad would cook the roast rare and mom got the outside slices.. The middle was usually pretty rare and that way when you reheated leftovers it still wouldn't dry out. My old man knew his way around a roast beef! :grilling_smilie:

Last edited:
My mom always liked her beef well done and us boys liked rare so my dad would cook the roast rare and mom got the outside slices.. The middle was usually pretty rare and that way when you reheated leftovers it still wouldn't dry out. My old man knew his way around a roast beef!
grilling_smilie.gif
Exactly what I do if we have guests. Everybody here likes it nice & pink, so I make my Prime Ribs in a 225* smoker, so the whole thing, from bark to bark is pink.

If we have company that likes it done more, I jack up the heat, and give the guests the outside slices.  Works Great !!!

Having rare or Med-Rare leftovers means you can fire up the gas grill nice & hot, and flip them over a couple times, and still keep a little pink inside!!!

Bear

My mom always liked her beef well done and us boys liked rare so my dad would cook the roast rare and mom got the outside slices.. The middle was usually pretty rare and that way when you reheated leftovers it still wouldn't dry out. My old man knew his way around a roast beef!
grilling_smilie.gif
Exactly what I do if we have guests. Everybody here likes it nice & pink, so I make my Prime Ribs in a 225* smoker, so the whole thing, from bark to bark is pink.

If we have company that likes it done more, I jack up the heat, and give the guests the outside slices.  Works Great !!!

Having rare or Med-Rare leftovers means you can fire up the gas grill nice & hot, and flip them over a couple times, and still keep a little pink inside!!!

Bear
That's exactly how it turned out. Well I guess not well done but when I showed them what I was going to have they were happy. My daughter called and said they lost power so I got to see my grandsons and as luck would have this 10lb roast turned out to be pretty handy.

Her are a few pics.

The more done view.

And my end.

I pulled it at 135 and foiled with the juice, it cruised up to 145....(impressed me) The roast had very good flavor but had the sirloin texture, not very tender but I have had much worse. There must be a way to get this hunk of meat flavored, smoked and tenderized. Soak in some alcohol maybe? Different approach to smoking?

I have a nice hunk to slice for sandwiches tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the help! Any other suggestions would be welcome.

That looks Amazing Todd!!!! I blew up the pictures and it is SOOO Juicy!!!! I'm happy it worked out just right for you!
When it comes to a roast I like that sirloin texture. Slice it real thin and you will be having some Awesome sammies!!!

That looks Amazing Todd!!!! I blew up the pictures and it is SOOO Juicy!!!! I'm happy it worked out just right for you!
When it comes to a roast I like that sirloin texture. Slice it real thin and you will be having some Awesome sammies!!!
Looks great!
Thanks Daves! My wife ( Woodburner) had me put some of the slices and small hunk in the roasting pan with all the juice and in the oven for an hour. I didn't want to do that but it came out pretty awesome. Kind of a cross between Italian beef and Arby's.

I have a nice hunk to slice for sandwiches tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the help! Any other suggestions would be welcome.
The absolute biggest tip I can give you on a Sirloin Roast is to slice it as thin as you can.

Nice Job!!

Bear

The absolute biggest tip I can give you on a Sirloin Roast is to slice it as thin as you can.

Nice Job!!

Bear
Thanks Bear! Its the normal sirloin texture but I would like to figure out how to make it better. I love the flavor and my doctor would probably like the fat ratio. I pick up one of these about once a month and grind into hamburger. I like to cut a round steak out of the middle and pound the heck out of it then pan fry.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky