beef jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx-joe-jerky

Original poster
Mar 17, 2014
Hi

I am from england and there is a brand of marinated smoked beef jerky that i simply love (i wont give the name but you could probably guess).Its not like the other jerky i have ever seen here.

I have attempted to create my own but i am having real difficultly. It does not taste anything like the one i can get in my local sainburys.

Even when i use the same ingredients to whats listed on the packet and no matter how differently i prepare it, it always comes out wrong, and i don't really like the taste of any of my own . Obviously there is some secret to the recipe that i'm missing.

I doubt i'll ever manage to recreate it but if i could at least make something tasty i would be happy. I've searched and searched the internet but all the recipes are fairly similar which i have tried and they all have a similar kind of taste underneath that the shop brought one does not. Surely i must be missing something but i just don't know what it could be.

I have yet to try curing with saltpetre, the packet does mention soy sauce, and salt. could they be curing with saltpetre and adding soy sauce? some people if say soy sauce is used it is the cure but i'm doubtful.

if you are from texas and you make jerky you may be able to shed some light on my mistakes.

I'm looking for any useful ideas from the professionals of things that i can try, and any common mistakes that most people make.

Please help if you can

Hello and Welcome to our addiction.  A word of warning: There is no 12 step program for this one!  Many good folk here with a load of experience that they are more than willing to share.  If you have specific questions just start a thread and someone with experience will be along soon to offer advice.  All info you can provide us with such as smoker type, location and so on will help us answer any questions you may have.  Spend some time doing some research on the forums, tons of advice and recipes already available there.  I am From Texas and now live in England.  I have no idea of the jerky you are talking about BUT you are allowed to post the name here so that we know how to help you.  This might turn out to be one of those " American style" things I run across now and then.  I am not a big jerky maker but many folks here are.  I am sure someone can offer advice and have you making some good jerky soon.  We look forward to your contributions.  Have fun.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Hello.  I also see this is your first post.  Please take some time and swing over to Roll Call and introduce yourself so that we may give you a proper "Hello".  All info you can provide us with such as smoker type, location and so on will help us answer any questions you may have.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Hello thank you for your response. The jerky it am talking about is called Texas joe, the hint was there my name :) I made a home made smoker, and have been cold smoking my jerky and then drying it out in the oven at about 70 degrees c. I've tried many things from various sources on the internet with no luck and have not managed to make anything that tastes as good as Texas joe.

I must be doing it wrong, but I'm running out of ideas. This stuff is supposed to he authentic Texan jerky, hence why I'm not asking in the uk, maybe I should be....

I know the website I have eaten tons of the stuff. I just want to know how it's made , they have changed their recipe and now it's horrible , no warning on the packet to indicate such a massive change. So I won't be buying it any more.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky