BCC

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

reflect

Meat Mopper
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 6, 2006
I understand how this works but have some questions...

On the beer can do you cut the top off or just pop the tab?

Do you tie the wings and legs back or???

This time also the chicken is coming from a buddies farm two days old/dead. Will that make a difference at all in taste/texture?

Also do you still brine it the day prior?

Getting ready to do two next weekend. I have smoked chicken plenty, just not BCC style.

Thank you,

Brian

I've never head of anyone cutting the top off, most people just pull the tab and some punch a few extra holes with a "church key" opener.

I've seen the wings hanging down naturally on a lot of folks birds. I usually tuck the tips behind the back. The legs help to for a tripod to hold the bird upright if you don't have a stand.

Brining adds moisture and flavor which can be done if you choose but it is not at all necessary. You'll be adding a spice rub and some smoke so there'll be plenty of flavor. The moisture in the can assures a juicy bird.

If I brine chicken, whole or parts, I let them soak overnight but not any longer.

Good luck on your frist BCC. :D I have plenty of pictures of them on my website if you'd like to take a look.

Bob's answer seems to have covered everything on this subject. Do you still have a question, or is anything not clear? If I recall, your fresh chicken will probally still taste better than any chicken I would go to the market and buy. If you can not brine the bird, place it in a freezer bag, with italian dressing to marinate if possible.

I also flip the wing tips behind the back and like Bob my drunken' chicken can hold their booze so they don't need no stinkin' stands.

Gary,

Yes all was covered less brining. I have the time, I just do not know if I should with the meat being so fresh. I have a normal mix, the issue is with the meat being a day or two old is it neccassary?

Take care,

Brian

To me, brining, helps with making the meat moist, also it is a way to impart a little flavor. You can go with a simple brine, or you can break out the chemistry set, and mix up a 47 ingredient brine. If you have the time...BRINE. I have never been wrong for using/doing a brine.

Some here may disagree with me, but I like to do the bcc at a higher temp. I usually cook 'em at 350* in my GOSM for about 1 - 1 1/2 hours. To me you just don't get the best beer flavor cooking them low. Plus chicken doesn't really need to be cooked low to be tender and juicy. I usually soak my wood to help with flaming cooking at such high temps.

I think you will find that a lot of people agree with you.

Skins crisp better at higher temps, and you don't have to worry about hanging around too long in the danger zone :( .

Thanks Gary. I always do brine as a rule. However this was a little different with the freshness factor so I did not want to over kill. I appreciate the followup.

Take care,

Brian

I tried to make "BCC" and my wife would let me. So I had to make "CCC" instead. It worked just as well and got great results, I brined the chicken with honey and salt .. I also smoked it between 325 and 350 deg .. I do have pics ofit cut up and will post tomorrow when iA get a chance.

Joe

Oh almost forgot, A "CCC" is "Coffee Cup Chicken"

Well Rodger, My wife being the purest she is didn't want an alunium can with paint on it the chicken nor did she want an alunium can in it . So instead <just to keep her quiet> I used a coffee mug instead .. Hey, It's not easy being me .. lol

Joe

We all have our cross to bear Joe. Mine b1tches because I take a coffee mug out of the house in my truck in the morning. :roll: I have to put my coffee in a styrofoam cup. That helps the ozone layer immensely.
wink.gif

Mystickal_1, Thanks for the link. Are those plastic? I use to brew my espresso on a stove top espresso maker until I got remarried and my wife has a thing about cooking with alunium <sp> she say's it causes memory loss or some foolish thing. So she went and bought me a stainless steel espresso maker. I won't tell ya how much she paid for it <500.00> .. she is a serious healt nut but she wants to keep me healthy so she can torture me longer I guess .. laugh <just a joke about the torture thing>

Joe

Just got this BCC recipe in the email from Weber:

Beer Can Chicken with Rosemary and Thyme

Rub
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 whole chicken, about 4 pounds

2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1 can (12 ounces) beer, at room temperature
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
1 clove garlic, crushed
Juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

1. In a small bowl, mix the rub ingredients.

2. Remove and discard the neck and giblets and any excess fat from the chicken. Lightly rub the chicken all over with the oil. Season the chicken inside and out with the rub. Tuck the tips of the wings behind the chickenâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s back.

3. Open the beer can and pour out about half the beer. Put the rosemary, garlic, lemon juice, thyme, and red pepper flakes into the beer can (so they will flavor the steam). Using a can opener, make 2 more holes in the top of the can. Place the beer can on a solid surface. Plunk the chicken cavity over the beer can.

4. Transfer the bird-on-a-can to the grill, balancing the bird on its two legs and the can, like a tripod. Grill over indirect medium heat until the juices run clear and the internal temperature registers 170º F in the breast and 180º F in the thickest part of the thigh, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours. Carefully remove the chicken and can from the grill (do not spill contents of beer can, as it will be very hot). Let the chicken rest for about 10 minutes before lifting from the beer can and cutting into serving pieces. Serve warm.

Makes 4 servings

Looks good wilk, the only change Iwould make is in step 3. Change "Open the beer can and pour out about half the beer.." to open the 12 pack, drink 1.5 beers, and then in the 2nd can put the rosemary, garlic, lemon juice, thyme, and red pepper flakes into the beer can\..."

Waste not want not - Reduce reuse recycle!

:twisted: :lol: :lol:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky