bad day to be a fattie & with speedy butts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

packplantpath

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 14, 2007
Well, I screwed mine up.

Got everything going by 6:00 this morning. 2 butts, 1 fattie.

Then, I fell asleep on the couch. No problem.

I just got up. It's 10:00. I kept an eye on the temps they were fine. But in my dreamy daze, I forgot fatties don't take this long.

It's looks bad. really bad. Kinda like a dry turd.

But, the inside tastes ok.....
PDT_Armataz_01_27.gif

No pics, that way it didn't happen.

Fortunately the butts are perfect, if about 2 hours ahead of schedule if you ask me.

They already hit 180. 5 lbs each. This is my first real cook with the ceramic, and the temps are about right, but I swear, it's cooking fast.

This one is the grilldome. I picked it up cheap, $50. I like it, but I wold never buy it at full price. Too small. Today it has a 4.8lb butt, and a tiny 2lb butt, plus 1 fattie. It was full.

It can probably do 2 full size butts.

But, it has been effortless compared to my SnP. Just tinker with the vents every 2 hours and the temps stay about where they were before. I've done quite a few chickens on it, but did them direct. Last night, I picked up a 10in ceramic plant tray from lowes and a new 13 inch grate.

Wrap the tray in foil, place grate on top of it, and it's a poor mans platesetter. It works anyway.

I swear though, it's cooking fast. There was no plateau, for either butt.

The small one is off, and it's already falling apart.

Part of it was the small size of the butts, but I'm guessing the rest is the radiant heat off the dome lid. needless to say, it'll be done early.

Looking forward to some QVIEW including the dome pics
icon_smile.gif

Read lots of good things about them so I would grab a cheap one in a heartbeat if I ran across one.

My new sticker burner is cooking fast too. About four hours in on 2 6lb. butts and already at 140 or so. But they look great,lol

Ok, so it's done. It cooked for a total of 5 hrs to 190. Foiled, and 1 hrs later at 200.

qview before pulling

after pulling

For those who wanted to see the dome with the indirect setup.
The Dome.

Normal grilling setup. Direct heat.

Indirect setup.
The foil covered thing is the ceramic pot tray. 10 inches. The grate is the weber coal grate.

ok, got lost in the pics. One more post.

I dumped 1/4 of a chimney of lit coals in the bottom, put 2 chuncks pecan on top of them, then filled the ring up with unlit, and put 2 more chunks pecan on top of that.

I had to adjust the vents a few times, but other than that, nothing. I let it keep burning once the butts came off, just to see how long it would go. I got 10 hrs of 225 to 250* on one load of lump, and I could have easily put a bit more lump in there.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky