Bacon wrapped stuffed thighs

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by one eyed jack, Oct 11, 2015.

1. one eyed jack

one eyed jack Master of the Pit

Found a recipe a little while ago that I figured I would try to convert to the grill.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/8551/spinach-stuffed-chicken-breasts/

Bacon wrapped Chicken thighs.  The recipe called for breasts and Feta cheese but I had trouble finding Feta,  (I live in a deprived area), and I like thighs so I used them.

Here are the ingredients

Filling all mixed up

Filling the thighs

Filled and wrapped

Into the smoke bath,  (22 inch Weber kettle)

Done

I didn't know what to expect when I started this project but they turned out better than I figured they would.  I'll try them again.

2. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Great looking looking smoke!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  3. danmcg

danmcg Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nice work, they sure look tasty !!

4. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Everything there I like. Looks great! Frigo makes a pretty good Feta. Strange the store carried one and not the other...JJ

5. one eyed jack

Thanks for checking out my project and your comments guys.  I was pleased with the Frigo Blue cheese, Chef.  This was the first time I had used any of their products.  Found it at Wally World.

6. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Next batch you do kick them up a bit. Melt 1/2 stick butter. To that add 1 cup Frank's hot sauce, 1 12-16 oz cheap beer. 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon chipotle powder. Mix well. Pour over your chicken and allow to marinate in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours. I like to go overnight if possible. Stuff with your blue cheese and spinach. Apply a rub made from same spices above. Wrap in bacon and cook. There's a buffalo chicken version for ya.

7. one eyed jack

That would indeed kick it up a notch DS.  I might well give your version a try.  [​IMG]

After trying one as a left-over for lunch today I believe that next time I will hold out for Feta cheese rather than the Blue.

8. How does that brick diffuser work for ya? i would like to get a smokeanator for my kettle but 60 something dollars + shipping seems a bit steep for a bent piece of sheet metal  

9. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Dang it man,,,you have inspired me!!! [​IMG]

A full smoker is a happy smoker

DS

10. jack thats some good looking thighs there.

dannylang

11. one eyed jack

The bricks have been working fine for around 5 years.  I new the potential risk using regular brick rather than fire brick so I made sure that the brick were as dry as possible and wrapped them with foil, primarily for clean up but I have had no troubles so far with the regular brick.  I have found that you can arrange the bricks in slightly different angles for more or less capacity.

I have thought about having a local friend make a nice sheet metal piece, and you could probably get more control over your air flow with that sort of set up but I haven't determined that it it really necessary.

I agree with you on the smokenator price being kind of steep.  The brick were free.  I say give it a try.

12. one eyed jack

Thanks for your comment, and the point DriedStick.  I appreciate it.  [​IMG]

13. one eyed jack

Thanks for checking it out Danny.  They were pretty darn good.

14. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Nice looking Thighs there , Jack ! :drool

I like them , but the Wifey doesn't , so We do Breast . . . :dunno

15. smokin218r

smokin218r Smoking Fanatic

Nice Looking Thighs!![​IMG]

Gonna have to add to the list!

16. one eyed jack

Thanks for your comment OS.  I've always been a dark meat guy but the breasts ought to work fine with the recipe.  The thighs are a little more forgiving to me and that's another reason that I go with them more often.
    Thanks for checking out my thread and your comment.  Hope it works out well for you.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  17. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

OEJ, Nice looking chicken sir ![​IMG]

18. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

They look great!

19. one eyed jack

Thanks for the nice comment and the point, Crazy Moon.
    Thanks for checking it out B-one.

20. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Wow does that look so tasty,I am saving this page thanks for sharing.

Richie

[​IMG]