Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breasts Crab Stuffed with fresh Dungeness Crab Trager Grilled!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wingman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 18, 2009
Tacoma, WA
Hi all...

I got to playing around this evening and stuffed a couple chicken breasts with a mix of green onion, bacon, garlic, Zesty Italian dressing and fresh Dungeness crab meat. Once stuffed I marinated it for a couple hours in zesty Italian dressing and then wrapped them in thin sliced bacon and injected the breast with melted butter and placed on my Traeger Texas gill. I used a 50%/50% mix of Hickory and Apple pellets. I started on smoke for 30 minutes then went to 270-300 degrees misting the chicken a couple times with apple juice while it cooked. When the chicken hi 140 degrees I put a pie tin on the grill filled with beans with brown sugar sprinkled on them. I also put some corn bread in the oven. I pulled the chicken out at 165 degrees.

The end result was amazing! Qview video link below...

Here are a couple pics as well...

Injecting-chicken.jpg

crabstuffedchicken2.jpg

crabstuffedchicken.jpg

Texture is good. The only thing I would change is go with 2 tbsp Italian dressing in the crab mix. I used about one. I pulled it at 167 degrees and should have pulled it at 160. Regardless it had amazing flavor.The Zesty Italian dressing goes quite well with crab meat and the crab went with the chicken. And the chicken went twith the beans and corn bread and well... It all went with me.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Thanks for sharing that Rob, interesting combo. And cool idea with the butter injection, that's worth points.

That looks excellent, Rob. I wonder how that would be with a slice of provolone cheese wrapped inside?

That does look fantastic. Its.8 below zero now but when it warms up to 20 or so I'm going to give that a try or something similar.
I got a thermometer et 73 the other day,now just need to try it out. and it sure will beat looking out the window with binoculars to read a pair of thermometers.and then explain to the family what I'm doing looking at a drum in the drive way.
thanks again for the ideas here, like who would have ever thought of Ruben brats? I know... the folks on SMF.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Yes that looks and sounds amasing. I think they would taste really good too.
points.gif
For sure on the new way of smoking chicken breast.

Congrats on a great looking dish. I konw that the taste was on the spot. I like the combo of textures and flavors, you've made a good pairing. Points to you my friend.

Thanks everyone.

The comment on putting provolone cheese in it, is a good idea.

I have done this with a cheese mixture, green onion, garlic, bacon an zesty Italian dressing and its really good. I have also stuffed them with stove top stuffing and garlic. Again it was really good.

I have been thinking about stuffing them with Mozzarella cheese and maple sausage Then injecting the core with a fair amount of marinara sauce.

Man I'm hungry all of a sudden... I'm having the left over one for lunch...

Wingman Thanks for the idea .I made something similar
tonight and got "this is really good" from the whole family .smoked this with some apple wood on the Webber gasser.I sprinkled some wood chips on the back third of the grill and lit the center and front burners .Got the grill up to temp put the wrapped chicken on and lit the back burner and gave it a good smoke.Very good thanks.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
Bill

Bill glad you liked it... It's hard t o go wrong with Bacon, chicken and fresh crab...

The Dude Abides... The Italian dressing does not over power it actually compliments the other flavors. It's hard to describe... All I can say is try it once...
icon_mrgreen.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky