Bacon, first attempt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dodgeramsst2003

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
S.E. Michigan
Hi all,

I picked up an 11.5 lb pork belly from cattlemans this week along with a large pork loin. I'm using the recipe from Jim's bacon making process on both. I figure I pull the belly at about day 6, rinse and smoke. The loin on the other hand is 3 inches thick in its thickest part. By my math I leave this until day 11-12? or should I pull it when I pull the belly? I'm worried that the center of the loin won't be cured sinces its so thick. Any input from people who have done this before? I owe some pictures from my previous snack sticks adventure, and if I ever find my camera cable I will post pics of that and this. Any input if greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Jim's method makes some good bacon... as far as the loin, as long as ya got the proper amount of cure by weight... leaving it a couple extra days won't hurt. When I cure 'em I usually inject a bit of cure into the center as insurance. 12 or so days sounds about right, but 14 won't hurt it. :{)

I was told no peeking while its curing, so its to late to inject this time. I will let it go 12-14 days on the loin. I used the dry cure method, do I just mix this with some water to inject? I thought about cutting the loin in half lengthwise to make it thinner, but decided against it. Thanks for your help.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky