BACON (Extra Smoky)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Great process, just finished 15 lbs. Turned out great!  sold 10 lb to friends and have 5 for me. does this process work the same for BBB?
Thank You "Climber"!!

I'm glad you like it.

Yes it does work for BBB. The only thing I would do differently would be, after getting all the smoke you want on it, to finish the BBB to at least 145˚ internal. That would make it completely cooked and safe to eat without further cooking (according to USDA).

Then you could "Just warm it up" before eating, instead of having to fry it first.

You don't have to do this, but I have found BBB is usually so lean, it is hard to fry without burning it.

I would never do this with Belly bacon.

This is just a suggestion for both BBB & Canadian Bacon.

Bear

Bear - nice job. A question for you and the group. I want to start some belly curing today, but due to traveling weekend after next, it will have to cure for 12 days or so instead of 9 like yours did. Any problem with that?

Bear - nice job. A question for you and the group. I want to start some belly curing today, but due to traveling weekend after next, it will have to cure for 12 days or so instead of 9 like yours did. Any problem with that?
No problem whatsoever.

To be on the safe side, make sure you do the salt-fry test, which I do all of the time anyway. That way, if the extra days makes it a little salty, you can do something about it. I seriously doubt it will need extra soaking, but it's always better to check before you smoke it.

Bear

I am new to smoking and this site I was wondering what AMNS is and AMNPS?   Do you share your recipe for the cure  you salt brown sugar etc?  Would love it if you do.  Thanks looks great YUM!!!!
yahoo.gif

I am new to smoking and this site I was wondering what AMNS is and AMNPS?   Do you share your recipe for the cure  you salt brown sugar etc?  Or is the tender quick the cure?   Would love it if you do.  Thanks looks great YUM!!!!
yahoo.gif

AMNS = A-MAZE-N-SMOKER
AMNPS = A-MAZE-N-PELLET-SMOKER

Bear's Bacon Recipe is in a link at the bottom of every one of his posts

TJ

I am new to smoking and this site I was wondering what AMNS is and AMNPS?   Do you share your recipe for the cure  you salt brown sugar etc?  Would love it if you do.  Thanks looks great YUM!!!!
yahoo.gif
Thank You, Vegas!!!

AMNS = A-MAZE-N-SMOKER

AMNPS = A-MAZE-N-PELLET-SMOKER

They are on this site:

http://www.amazenproducts.com/

I don't make cure. I use Morton's Tender Quick cure.

How I use it & what I add to it is in the beginning of this thread, and any other of my step by steps.

Bear

Forum Screen Freeze caused a double post !!!

Bear

Last edited:
Do you cure your own ham?  If so how do you do it?  I was thinking of just buying a regular ham marinating it in apple juice and brown sugar and smoking to give it extra flavor.

Do you cure your own ham?  If so how do you do it?  I was thinking of just buying a regular ham marinating it in apple juice and brown sugar and smoking to give it extra flavor.
No I don't cure my own Ham.

I'm not into having to do quite that much.

Below is how I do it. Like you said, I buy a cheap cured & smoked Ham, and smoke it again.

Here is how I do it:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/105633/ham-twins-double-smoked

I have been eating Double Smoked Hams for at least 30 years---They are Awesome!!!

There is nothing like them.

Bear

Jumping on the necro bandwagon.  I have a quick question about curing, and it is a dificult question to search.

Question:  My wife and I don't eat sugar (Paleo/Whole 30), so is it OK to cure using MTQ without sugar?

Thanks,

Kevin

Jumping on the necro bandwagon.  I have a quick question about curing, and it is a dificult question to search.

Question:  My wife and I don't eat sugar (Paleo/Whole 30), so is it OK to cure using MTQ without sugar?

Thanks,

Kevin
I never thought about it.

You never taste the Brown sugar I add to the cure, and adding a tsp to each pound of Bacon is enough.

I always figured the sugar was meant to counteract the salt in the cure.

Maybe you should start a new thread, asking that question to the whole forum, instead of just those wanting to see my Bacon post.

You'll get a lot more response that way There are some guys with more of that kind of knowledge, instead of just knowing how to do things.

Bear.

Yes sir, that is some mighty good looking bacon there!  Great post Bear.  I'm going to be doing some myself soon in my new MES 40, with my new AMNPS.  

One question -- how do yo make square eggs?

I need to go find an egg and bacon sammy now!
You have to have a square chicken lay square eggs, then it is easy!  No Square chickens in your area, as long as your in the north east, they are available, but I do not think we want those southerns to have any.  Beside, I think it is too hot down there for them to survive.

Now to get rational, a good pan that the eggs do not stick in and spatula can do wonders!

music-064.gif

canada-flag-68.gif

Beautiful post as always Bear.  Great looking bacon too, but with you that is nothing new.

I did notice your retro salt and pepper shakers.  I have to get by the restaurant supply store and see if i can find a set of those.  I can always bend the caps a little with a hammer to make them look old and authentic.

Good luck and good smoking.
Those S & P shakers are good old Tupperware shakers from the 1970s.  We can find them up this way at flea markets and yard sales.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky