Bacon Curing Question

Discussion in 'Curing' started by chrisburke, Jan 16, 2014.

1. chrisburke

chrisburke Newbie

So I'm curing 3 different pieces of pork belly right now. I've made bacon several times,but I'm trying a new recipe on one. I used the same basic cure on this piece, but I added sriracha sauce after rubbing the cure in and slathered that on. This piece does not seem to be firming up like the other two. I used the same cure on them, but with only dry spices. Does anyone think the sriracha sauce would prevent the curing from happening? That's the only variable I can think of.

I'm planning on cold smoking the bacon on Saturday, but I'm worried about that one piece not firming up. I guess I could bake it in the oven to 150 degrees just to be safe. Any ideas?

2. @ChrisBurke,

What "basic cure" are you using?
    Was the sriracha applied right after applying the cure or some time afterward?

In the context of a proper cure the short answer is no, it shouldn't make a difference.
    Firmness isn't really all that good of an indication of the effectiveness of the cure anyway because it can vary quite a bit.

~Martin

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  3. chrisburke

chrisburke Newbie

I used the Basic Dry Cure from Ruhlman's Charcuterie. Just kosher salt, cure #1 and sugar. 

I applied the dry cure, coating the whole piece. Then I applied the sriracha immediately after. All 3 pieces of belly have been curing for the same time in the same fridge. 

Is there any danger in cold smoking this piece? Is there a way to determine if the cure took? I'm going to fry test a piece of each tonight so maybe that will help. 

4. If you applied enough cure, the cure stayed in contact with the meat and you cured it long enough... it'll be cured.
    A fry test won't hurt.

~Martin