Bacon color question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

breeves

Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
Fort Worth TX
I'm working on my first try at Buck Board bacon and after 13 days in the frig with himountain cure I pulled it out to rinse and soak today and noticed sections of the meat are red and the rest is a brown.

Before I smoke it and eat any I want to check with the experts, did I mess up, should I apply more cure to these areas?

When it is cured the center should be a nice red/pink color.  The outside will be brown from the oxygen that gets to the outside.

Looks good to me.

Maybe some bacon experts will chime in.

I have not cut into a piece, but the redish sections were in the center of the ziplock bag, so maybe just not as much oxygen exposure.

It is fine.... Like c farmer said, the brown is oxidation... no problem...... When you cook it, the meat will turn pink, like ham does.... If you have meat that wasn't cured long enough, it will look like this..... Thank you Snorkeling Girl, for the valuable lesson for our members to learn from......

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky