Backyard Pig Roast

Discussion in 'Pork' started by jaysun29, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Doing a Pig roast in my backyard.. 80 lbs pig on the spit.. Do I smoke it.??. can I smoke it??..should I smoke it??.. what wood... want to be able to wow my guests..

Thanks!

2. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to  your first qview. [​IMG]

3. ugaboz

ugaboz Smoking Fanatic

hit that thing with hickory hard and brush it off with some cherry

4. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

[​IMG]    Glad to have you with us!

Have you done a whole hog before?

5. Thanks Al.. No I've never done a whole hog before. We have this BBQ every year and I have smoked ribs and done pulled pork. We just felt this year to try something different

6. alblancher

alblancher Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

We used to do whole pigs at least once a year in the old days.  The way you do it will be determined by the rig or materials  you have on hand.   I found that indirect heat is by far the best for the majority of the cooking time.  We would start the pig around 6 or 7 in the evening, let it get some good smoke from the in-direct fire over night and then pull the coals under the pig in the morning.  A good wind screen helps a great deal,  that and a keg of beer.  It's tough getting people to stay up all night turning the spit occasionally if you don't have a keg of beer.  The beer also kept the pig moist.    The ribs will finish first and the hams took a good bit longer so the placement of your fire is important.

If you have access to a rack you can open the pig up a bit and lay him flat on the grate.  I guess he'll cook faster that way but you'll need a way to flip him.

Good luck and make sure you post lots of pics.  I've been wanting to do another one for quite a while but most of my friends are getting to old to stay up all night turning a darn spit.

Al

7. A few friends of mine and I did a whole hog but it was quite a few years ago. Cowgirl has an awesome step-by-step for two different methods on her blog. The first is substantially similar to what we did, using cinderblock, a flattened pig, and indirect heat. The second method she covers is in a pit.

Ours turned out really well, although the vegetarian health food store next door was not very happy about the whole thing.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2007/03/cooking-whole-hog-on-cinder-block-pit_19.html

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  8. sunman76

sunman76 Master of the Pit

[​IMG]

9. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Keep us posted, this should be a good one to follow.

10. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Good luck...and welcome...I am going to do one someday if I can find enough people to eat it....

11. alblancher

alblancher Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

Roller,

You coming down for SELA?  I'll come up to Alton to eat some roast pig any day.  I worked in W Monroe for 3 years about 20 years ago.  Sold communications equipment.  

12. cowgirl

cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Welcome to the forum Jaysun!  The block pit is really easy to use.. underground isn't bad either just a bit more work.

Do you have a smoker?

Lovin Spoonful...Thanks!! :)