Back (Canadian) Bacon 3 Ways

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

LOL You don't have an unkind bone in you body Disco! B
Well, there is this one my back that hurts from time to time...

Another great post, Disco. I'm all out of back bacon and it's about the time of year to make some.

I've always used Pop's brine before but I may just try it dry this time.

Point for you.

Chuck
I sure won't question using Pop's brine. I use a variation on my loin hams and pastrami. I have done both for bacon and the difference is minimal but I think it has a bit more of a bacon texture with the dry but it is marginal.

Thanks for the point, Chuck!
Looks great Disco! It's about time I make some more the bacon stock is getting slim in the freezer!
No bacon in the freezer is unforgivable! Get with it, Case!

I've been working on a "side by side" for you, Disco. The TQ "Canadian Bacon" was done last week and your version of "Back Bacon" will be ready in a couple of days. If I don't crash and burn I'll make a post of it [emoji]128578[/emoji]
Just out of curiosity, when you buy back bacon at the grocery, is it cooked or uncooked?
Dan

I've been working on a "side by side" for you, Disco. The TQ "Canadian Bacon" was done last week and your version of "Back Bacon" will be ready in a couple of days. If I don't crash and burn I'll make a post of it [emoji]128578[/emoji]
Just out of curiosity, when you buy back bacon at the grocery, is it cooked or uncooked?
Dan
I am looking forward to the post. The back bacon in the store is cured but they don't guarantee it is fully cooked so I always fry and it and don't assume it is safe to eat right off the chunk.

I did nothing but TQ until I ran out and my local store stopped carrying it so I was forced to Prague Powder #1. The only difference I noted was I was able to cut back on the salt even more by using the Prague powder so the bacon was a little less salty. I am really interested in your tasting comparison to see if it is just me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky