Baby backs and Spares same smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

racin62b

Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
central illinois
I am smoking 2 racks of baby backs and 1 rack of spares tomorrow. Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions about cooking these at the same time? I just got my AMNPS in the mail yesterday and did a test run with it last night. I now understand the TBS concept. I have a MES 30, and before when using the chips in the tray, I would get heavy white smoke. Also this time I am going to try sand instead of water in the pan. During my last smoke I had a condensation problem. I have read on here where other guys have had luck with the sand so I thought I would give it a try. Any tips would be great.

Forgot to mention I might throw a couple chicken breasts on for my mom since she isn't a rib fan. Never done chicken so any suggestions would be awsome!

Those are fine to smoke together.  Spares should go in about 1 hour before the BBR's.  Spares are 3-2-1, BBR's 2-2-1.  Chicken breasts can go in as well.  Everybody in the pool together!!!  
bluesbros.gif

Is there a time frame for the breasts, or just go off internal temps. I was also thinking of trying apple pellets. That ok for ribs and chicken?

The breasts will only take a couple of hours to get to 165. Just put them under the ribs, you don't want the chicken dripping on the ribs.

The Chicken will only take about 2 hours total...If you want everything perfect and have everybody eat together....Put the Chicken in with the BabyBacks...But...Pull the Breasts when they hit 145*F, cover, rest 30 minutes and refrigerate...Place the Chicken back in during the last hour while the Ribs are finishing up and Smoke the Breasts to the usual 165*F...Serve everything Fresh and Hot...JJ

Last edited:
Thanks alot guys. Really heplful info. Of course just like the last time I did a smoke it is raining here again so I hope the moisture won't be an issue. I'm still pretty new to all this and that makes 3 out of 4 smokes where it will be raining during the process.

The ribs turned out pretty good considering I got a late start on them. It sure was alot easier using the AMNPS than reloading the chip tray. I have a few pics of the end product, just trying to get them from the camera to the computer. I didn't end up doing the chicken, so that will be for another time. Thanks for the help again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky