baby back ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle lloyd

Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
I am going to smoke some baby back ribs tomarrow and I want to use the 321 method. I know baby back ribs are a 2.2.1. formula but my electric smoker only gets to 201degree at the top of the smoker. should i use the 3.2.1. method or stick with the 2.2.1.. Thanks.

I'd foil when the meat starts to pull back from the bones a bit. prob. between 2 and 3 hours. I'd check at 2 hours. Prob foil with some apple juice for 1.5 - 2 hours, and then firm them back up out of the foil for an hour or so. They should be great.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I got a question...every single recipe I have for baby backs has them in at straight smoking for 3 hours...can this possibly be enough time>??!??

I've got this awesome Smoke-n-Spice book that has hundreds of smoking recipes and all of them are soooo good...this weekend I'm preparing to do the "Apple City Baby Backs" which is based off of the award winning Apple City BBQ-ers championship babybacks.

However, the recipe has them smoking for 3 hours, that's it...no foil, 3-2-1, 2-2-1, etc... Should I just follow the recipe and see what happens?

In my opinion 3 hours at 220 isn't enough time to even cook them. What temp. did it say to cook them at. if you want really good tasteing smoked ribs, "low & slow" is the only way to go.

If you pull them off and hold them in the middle of the rack (with a neoprene or silicone mitt of course) and they bend more then 90 degrees to the point they almost break then they are done. A small rack of bb ribs cooking at 250 might be done after 3 hours.

the size of the rack is a big factor when cooking bb i like to use 2 1/2 lb racks and up so they will take to the 321 method pretty well the book is probably talking about 1 3/4 downs
I do agree that 3 hours is not enough time at 200-220 but like they say bbq is done when its done

yeah, the recipe is for 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 bb's...

I'm actually smoking now at about 3 hours 20 minutes...not done...I don't think....

It's started to pull slightly off the bone but no where near done.

One other thing I noticed...bb's seem to already be pretty flexible...when I pick them up uncooked they move around fairly easily...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky