Authentic Andouille Recipe from The Andouille Capitol of the World

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

starriddin

Original poster
Feb 21, 2014
I've learned first hand that there are few authentic Andouille recipes on the web. Of course, each is free to add their pleasures as they see fit and I am not here to discourage that. But, as a 7th generation resident of south Louisiana, who resides in Laplace, La., the self proclaimed Andouille Capitol of the world, I thought I would share the recipe for true authentic Andouille. First, traditional Andouille is made from Boston Butt or even raw ham. It is not ground but rather chopped into 1/2" cubes, fat and all. The modern recipe uses Morton's TenderQuick for the cure for cold smoking. This is critical as Morton's is 80% salt and 20% sugar. For those who want the recipe and not the history, here it is in its simplicity. Five Lbs Boston Butt or Fresh ham, either cut into 1/2" cubes or a combination of ground and cubed. I use the combination and use 1/2 Tbsp of MTQ per pound, as the cure and as the salt. Mix and let cure overnight in the fridge. The next day, mix 2Tbsp ground red pepper, 1Tbsp crushed red pepper, 1 cup minced garlic, 1and1/2 Tbsp black pepper. Here is the part most people don't do. Add 1 cup of DRY red wine like Merlot or Cabernet Sauviion. Let this mixture marinate at least an hour or two in the fridge. Then, stuff in middle BEEF casings, not hog. I dry mine overnight, uncovered, in the fridge, turning once about half way. For smoking, remove the Andouille from the fridge while you get the smoker ready so it is approaching room temperature. Start smoking at 130 degrees, increasing the temperature roughly 10 degrees an hour until the smoker is at about 170 degrees. Continue until the meat internal temperature is about 155 degrees. This should take 8 -10 hours, depending on exterior temperature etc. it is critical that the fat does not render. It is the fat that flavors dishes that you use the Andouille in like Gumbos and Jabalaya. Remove immediately and place in an ice water bath for 20 -30 minutes. Dry off and Marvell at your authentic Andouille. This needs to be smoked with ONLY Pecan wood and Sugarcane if you can get it. I have found the sugarcane is not critical to the end result, but, that is the authentic ingredient. I have found that adding things like Thyme, etc... Detracts from the true Andouille flavor. The original Cajuns were simple people without access to many more spices than mentioned in this recipe. Many Cajuns, some of my relatives included, were from Northern France, which borders what was then Germany. They settled on a stretch of the Mississippi River roughly halfway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. It is still known as The German Coast. This most likely where Andouille sausage making comes from, with the German sausage making skills being well known to these settlers. They, of course, use the ingredients at hand, and created this sausage. The red pepper in the above will probably be a little spicy for those not used to spicy food, so I would suggest using less and frying a test batch before stuffing. I use the above recipe and it is almost identical in taste to Bailey's and Jacob's, the two world famous local Andouille shops here in Laplace. One thing, do not add more than the directed amount of salt as the Morton quantities are perfect. Any more and the Andouille will be almost inedible. I hope this inspires many to try an authentic recipe for Andouille. Remember, sometimes the best recipes are those with basic ingredients. Enjoy!

Reactions: stovebolt
Guys, I made a batch today and the red pepper was pretty strong. You may want to use 1 and 1/2 Tbsp of the ground red pepper instead of the full two. Unless you want hot Andouille like I do Lol!
GALLERY]

Last edited:
One of the most convenient ways to cut meat into small dice is to freeze it hard then put it in the fridge over night to warm up to just barely frozen. It will then slice in neat firm slices that can be cut and cross cut into dice.

Guys, I made a batch today and the red pepper was pretty strong. You may want to use 1 and 1/2 Tbsp of the ground red pepper instead of the full two. Unless you want hot Andouille like I do Lol!
GALLERY]

Good read. Thank you.

Chuck

Thank you!!!! This is exactly what I have been wanting!
You are welcome. I had a hard time getting this recipe too. The clerks at the local Andouille shops do not know the smoking details and the recipe is a closely guarded secret. I do know that my recipe is very very close to theirs. The wine is important. Try to find a dry red wine with little or no aftertaste. It makes a huge difference. I can never remember the last brand I bought for cooking. I will need to start writing it down LoL!!!! Good luck with your own Andouille!

Several months ago on another forum someone asked for a "Real Southern Biscuit" recipe. As far as I know they thread is still running. A Request for "Real Texas Chili" would result in a similar response. I know that I have seen more than fifty Andouille recipes. Some look like chorizo and some look more like chaurice but they are all very good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky