Australian beef tenderloin?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phatbac

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Monroe, NC USA
Hello!
I was just at Food Lion getting some Tylenol for work and i saw they had whole beef tenderloins on sale ($7.99/#). i looked for a grade and found only that they were from Australia. Has anyone had any Aussie beef before? I think I'm going to buy one but it would great if anyone had any recommendations either way... thanks!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Hello!
I was just at Food Lion getting some Tylenol for work and i saw they had whole beef tenderloins on sale ($7.99/#). i looked for a grade and found only that they were from Australia. Has anyone had any Aussie beef before? I think I'm going to buy one but it would great if anyone had any recommendations either way... thanks!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

I Smoked one before I even knew it was Australian Beef.
Mrs Bear got it for $7.99---It was Great.
Then I looked to see if it was Choice, and all it said was Australian Beef.
This One:
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/index.php?threads/smoked-beef-tenderloin-on-sale.267738/

Bear

I had just the opposite experience.
I bought an Aussie whole beef tenderloin, & it was tough.
Never bought another one.
But after hearing all you other guys, maybe I just got a bad piece of meat.
Al

I had just the opposite experience.
I bought an Aussie whole beef tenderloin, & it was tough.
Never bought another one.
But after hearing all you other guys, maybe I just got a bad piece of meat.
Al

You might have gotten Australian "Roo" Meat?!?!

Bear

Hello!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

I've never bought Australian beef in the US but I bought and ate plenty of it while in Australia.
I have to say that in general their beef was much better than what we get in general here in the US. This is not a knock on US beef at all, it was a matter of a few simple factors.

When I was in Australia I believe I learned or was told that their food and nutrition standards are quite a bit higher than the US but ONLY because Australia's population is minuscule compared to the US (Texas Population is greater than all of Australia population).
With so few people to feed, Australia can keep much of their top end beef and export what is left.

Also I believe most Australian beef is naturally grass fed and if grain fed that it is at the end. Even then I believe only 1/3 of Australian beef is grain fed. With there being such a demand for natural and grass fed beef by the TX BBQ scene there seems to be some evidence to support that it creates a top end product.

So if you can get Australian beef that is the same or very close to what they keep in Australia then I say you are in for a top quality treat :)

Thanks. I went back to buy the tenderloin and found strip steak was $5.99/# so instead of the tenderloin i bought three strip loin roasts (2.5#) for the same price as the tenderloin. The butcher cut them for me special and trimmed them really nice. They are my wife's favorite steak anyways so i will do the tenderloin later. oh BTW the strip roasts was USDA choice. I will try Aussie meat at some point though!
thanks everyone!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky