Ash build-up issue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gunkle

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Aug 31, 2014
Connecticut
On my UDS that I built last summer I typically have an issue at about the 4 hr mark where the ash build up is too much and my temps start to fall. Opening up more inlets only helps for a bit then there is nothing I can do but take it apart and knock the ash out. Kicking the drum helps a little but is only a short term fix. I just fired up my new double barrel smoker "T-style" and ran into the same issue.  What are you guys doing that do long cooks? I see people talking about 12 hour cooks on a UDS but I seem to spend the last half of the cook tending my basket. My basket is made from a 14" grill grate with expanded metal about 12" tall mounted to the top. It's sitting on 3" bolts for legs. My intakes are about 3 - 4" off the bottom of the drum. I built a new basket for the new smoker but followed the same plan as the original one.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky