Apricot Bourbon BBQ Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brandon91

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 10, 2014
the pit
Came across this while I was searching the net, tried it on spare ribs this weekend and it was awesome.
  • 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
  • 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 cup apricot preserves (Other fruit puree/preserves would work well too I imagine)
  • 1 cup Heinz chili sauce  (I substituted ketchup)
  • 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbs. bourbon
  • 1/3 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 2 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 Tbs. spicy brown mustard, such as Gulden’s
  • 1/2 medium serrano or jalapeño chile, finely chopped
Melt the butter in a 3-quart heavy-duty saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the preserves, chili sauce, 1/2 cup of the bourbon, the vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and chile; bring to a simmer. Lower the heat to low and simmer, stirring often, until reduced to about 3 cups, about 20 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 Tbs. bourbon and remove from the heat. Blend if you desire a smooth sauce.

icon14.gif

Last edited:
Last year for the first time while prepping a turkey for the smoker, I cut up some apricots and threw in the cavity. OMG! It so went with the turkey. It was a totally amazing flavor added to the meat.

I am smoking a turkey tomorrow, I had planned on brining and adding about a pint of my homemade apricot liqueur to the brine. When I got the bird it was enhanced already.... Why do they do that? 

I am using peach, nectarine and apricot in a lot more cooks these days. I know it would be good in a BBQ sauce !!

Last year for the first time while prepping a turkey for the smoker, I cut up some apricots and threw in the cavity. OMG! It so went with the turkey. It was a totally amazing flavor added to the meat.

I am smoking a turkey tomorrow, I had planned on brining and adding about a pint of my homemade apricot liqueur to the brine. When I got the bird it was enhanced already.... Why do they do that? 

I am using peach, nectarine and apricot in a lot more cooks these days. I know it would be good in a BBQ sauce !!
That sounds awesome foam, I'll be looking for your Q-view.

Brandon........to make a bit more intense apricot flavor, add a handful of diced dried apricots. As fruit is dried the flavor gets stronger. IMHO......it makes for a better flavor.

Brad

Just bumping this because I grilled some pork chops today and had this on the side, awesome 
biggrin.gif

Just a heads up I canned this today just subtracting the butter. Ph was 3.something so it was safe to water bath.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky