Apricot Bourbon BBQ Sauce

Discussion in 'Sauces, Rubs & Marinades' started by brandon91, Jun 16, 2014.

1. brandon91

brandon91 Meat Mopper

Came across this while I was searching the net, tried it on spare ribs this weekend and it was awesome.
    • 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
    • 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
    • 2 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped
    • 1 cup apricot preserves (Other fruit puree/preserves would work well too I imagine)
    • 1 cup Heinz chili sauce  (I substituted ketchup)
    • 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbs. bourbon
    • 1/3 cup cider vinegar
    • 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
    • 2 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
    • 2 Tbs. spicy brown mustard, such as Gulden’s
    • 1/2 medium serrano or jalapeño chile, finely chopped
    Melt the butter in a 3-quart heavy-duty saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the preserves, chili sauce, 1/2 cup of the bourbon, the vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and chile; bring to a simmer. Lower the heat to low and simmer, stirring often, until reduced to about 3 cups, about 20 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 Tbs. bourbon and remove from the heat. Blend if you desire a smooth sauce.

[​IMG]  

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    rgii and noboundaries like this.
  2. Hello.  Sounds like something I need to try.  I can see that sauce working really well with game.  Thanks for posting.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

3. noboundaries

noboundaries Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yep, just copied this into my cookbook software.  I've been doctoring Sweet Baby Ray's with apricot/pineapple preserves and bourbon.  No more.  Next time I do ribs, I'm doing this sauce.

4. tc fish bum

tc fish bum Meat Mopper

thanx Brandon all over this one.

5. brandon91

brandon91 Meat Mopper

Hope you guys like it, I thought it was real tasty.

6. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Last year for the first time while prepping a turkey for the smoker, I cut up some apricots and threw in the cavity. OMG! It so went with the turkey. It was a totally amazing flavor added to the meat.

I am smoking a turkey tomorrow, I had planned on brining and adding about a pint of my homemade apricot liqueur to the brine. When I got the bird it was enhanced already.... Why do they do that? 

I am using peach, nectarine and apricot in a lot more cooks these days. I know it would be good in a BBQ sauce !!

7. brandon91

brandon91 Meat Mopper

That sounds awesome foam, I'll be looking for your Q-view.

8. bkleinsmid

bkleinsmid Smoking Fanatic

Brandon........to make a bit more intense apricot flavor, add a handful of diced dried apricots. As fruit is dried the flavor gets stronger. IMHO......it makes for a better flavor.

Brad

9. brandon91

brandon91 Meat Mopper

Just bumping this because I grilled some pork chops today and had this on the side, awesome [​IMG].