Apple Wood Chips!!!! You'll never guess where I got 'em!

Discussion in 'Woods for Smoking' started by woody, Aug 6, 2006.

1. woody

woody Smoke Blower

First, let me just say I've only smoked with Mesquite and Hickory. They're great, but man are they....smoky.

I was looking around the local Mejiers and I found a bag of apple wood chips! It was about $2.99. I threw some in a foil packet in the good 'ol silver smoker....and whew...that is the sweetest smelling smoke I ever did smell. Yum. I've enclosed a picture of the bag, no weight included but it said it was 180 square inches.
    [​IMG]

2. joed617

joed617 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I'm guessing now .. ready? ok Ummm I'm gonna guess. My first guess would be Home Depot?

Joe

3. woody

woody Smoke Blower

Hey....are you making fun of my enthusiasm? :)

Uh, seriously it was at Meijers. It was in the post, dude.

4. joed617

joed617 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

No, I'm not and I know it was. :)

But I do love guessing games.. laugh

5. bob-bqn

bob-bqn Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

If you found mesquite and hickory to be a little strong then I think you'll be pleased with the lighter flavor of apple. It may be a little too light for beef when used alone as it is a very mellow wood so I like to blend it with pecan for beef. :D Hope you find it to your liking.

6. I like guessing games too. My guess is you got it from Walmart.

7. icemn62

icemn62 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I am geussing you did not go to a store anywhere near my area of the country. I went out Saturday and drove around for 3 hours to 7 different locations. I could not find apple or cherry wood chunks to save my life. Now I am using hickory, which I never used. I like the why the hickory is working, but I LOVE the fruit flavored woods.