Anyone have any luck smoking in cold temperatures (30s)?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

floridasmoke1

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 20, 2014
Looks like we will be having a "snow day" tomorrow and not going into work. I might try my second smoke to give me something to do.

I have one of the Master Forge vertical green charcoal smokers.

I made a previous post about my first smoke. I was having trouble keeping the temps up to smoke some chicken. I will be doing the mods that a lot of people suggested tomorrow morning.

Nope  no problem at all. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...ive-51-windchill-and-running-a-spatchcock-350

No problem with my mini, UDS or my midsize Jumbo mini no matter how cold. Still cooking chickens at 350*.   My Jimmy (Jumbo Mini) i was just running 450-500*   finishing up some chicken after i smoked at 350*.   The cold doesn't affect the cooking temps or fuel usage if you have good insulation/ wind blocks.   I like my reflectix sleeves for the smokers....one roll did all of them.

You'll still need good airflow in your smoker ...meaning enough intake air and exhaust to get good temps.  Running lump charcoal will help you also if you have trouble. 

Last edited:
Did you cut any holes in them, or prop them up? Just seems like blocking the smoker off like that would limit it.

No holes except the flap you can see in the picture so i can see my therm.  It's just a circle of reflectix...this is 2 feet high but you can tape pieces together or use a wider roll if your smoker is taller.   I did this for my UDS and jumbo mini also.  The 2 foot roll is the cheapest though.

Do you see where i seemed the circle together with metal (foil tape)? ..... inside and out. 

Just keep some dead air space between the smoker and the insulation.  Mine on this smoker is just fitted around the mini's handles so it worlked out great.   If your smoker doesn't have handles just keep that extra space. 

Last edited:
Have a Stump's so outside temp isn't really an issue. When it was I went and got some welding blankets....did the trick!

I haven't used any insulation yet, I usually start a bigger fire to get the temps to where they need to be for such cold weather. summer time I would only need a 1/2 chimney, winter i need a full chimney.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky