Another smoking Butt

Discussion in 'Pork' started by smokingearl, Sep 7, 2015.

1. smokingearl

smokingearl Meat Mopper

10 pound Butt...Trimmed off the fat, Coated with honey mustard, then a rub made of brown sugar, paprika, celery salt, cumin, crushed red pepper, garlic pepper, onion powder, and salt.

Covered in plastic and stored in the fridge 24 hours. 10:30 pm I lit the AMPS filled with Pitmasters Choice and heated the MES 40 to 230. After 20 minutes I put the butt on the second rack and put in the AMPS. Gave the smoke a 20 minute boost by filling the chip loader with hickory. Turned down the smoker to 220. Got up this morning at 6:30 am to see the AMPS was still doing its job and I had half the tray to go, butts IT was 158. 9am I increased temp to 240. 10 am my IT is169.
    I'm not planning on foiling, and hoping to get a bit of crisp bark. I think once I get an IT of 180 I may crank the smoker on up to 260 maybe higher to help get a crisper bark, any thoughts on this idea?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  2. Looks great!

3. tumbleweed1

tumbleweed1 Smoking Fanatic

Looks nice, I have one going at 275 right now.

Looks like there's a lot of Labor Day butts going today! [​IMG]

TW

4. How long does it normally take for you to do one at 275*?

5. tumbleweed1

About an hour to a an hour & 15 minutes per pound. Depends on wind, weather temps & how much "tending" to the other dishes I usually have going in there too. My last 8 pounder took about 9 hours though.

TW

6. smokingearl

smokingearl Meat Mopper

Almost 14 hours in the smoker, IT of 187. Just now cranked the smoker up to 275 in hopes it'll bring a crisper bark. If it doesn't it's ok but I thought I'd try it.

7. tumbleweed1

It should help.

TW

8. smokingearl

smokingearl Meat Mopper

17 hours. Totally worth the time. A complete success. Nice crisp bark, totally tender pulled pork.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  9. tumbleweed1

Very nice indeed!

TW

10. Looks awesome!

11. GaryHibbert

GaryHibbert Smoking Guru OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks like you'll have a great feed of PP from that baby.

Gary