Another Pulled Pork ...JJ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chef jimmyj

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2011
It's been a while since I posted a Smoke so I figured I would share this one...

I started with a 4lb Boneless Butt. It had a 1/4 inch Fat cap but was pretty lean over all. I mixed up a batch of my Mild Rub per the bosses request and after a massage with Mustard gave it a good coating and an overnight nap. Fired the smoker at 8am to 250*F, it was 25*F outside, the MES took 25 minutes to get to temp. I figured I would run between 250* and 275*F. Loaded the AMNPS with Pitmasters Choice Pellets and we were good to go. I have done both foil and smoke straight through and decided to let this one ride since I got an early start and it was a small Butt. It was hitting all the marks as is common. 3 hours in hit 140*F, 4 hour mark hit 158*F and stalled. I figured a short stall, it's so small, and would hit 200*F by the 6 hour mark...NOPE! Instead of lasting and hour it was like the damn thing was made by Duracell...It kept Going and Going...No movement for over 3 hours then crept up to 200*F over the next 3 hours. The last 3 hours I kept the Smoker temp closer to the 275*F point. Next the Butt went in a pan, covered with foil and had a 1 hour rest in the cold oven. I made a batch of my Foiling Juice but I did add 2T Ketchup, 2T Cider Vinegar and 1T Yellow Mustard to give it more of a BBQ Sauce flavor and got to pulling the Pork. I was quite surprised that the meat was still hot. The meat shredded but not what I would call Fall Apart. It was really lean. The Dog was giving me the Stink Eye 'cause I will toss scraps in her bowl as I go along but there was just next to Zero waste, even the Fat Cap had virtually melted away. While some think that is good...It is a Major Sign that this meat will not be all it could be...It was OK but over all I thought it Dry. The family told me I was Nuts and it was great but I was disappointed. In the Future I will evaluate the meat much more thoroughly for Fat content and foil Lean Butts and only let Fatty Butts take the full ride uncovered. The meal was a Classic Meat and Three...Pulled Pork, Collard and Kale Greens, Mac & Cheese and Cole Slaw...Here is some Qview and I will post the Recipes at the end...JJ

Out of the Refer and got a Second coat of Rub before going in the smoker...

We are in the Stall big time but check that Awesome Bark and flawless AMNPS TBS!

Rested and Ready...

This is just under the Fat Cap. Real juicy here but not all the way through, and NO that it not my Hand!

An action shot with my Big Mitts...Notice the meat on the left. It is very lean and a little dry... 

The finishing touch requires some Hands on Pulling....

Add the modified Foiling Juice to moisten it all up and add a Sweet and Sour balance that really requires no other Sauce...

Some Stove Top Mac & Cheese...

Some Cole Slaw...

Got to have a Pot o' Greens...Yum!..

Collards, Kale and a big ol' Ham Hock to flavor them up...

A nice Plate and a Cold One to wash it all down...Hungry yet Kids?...

A little Closer...Can you Smell it???

Can't forget the Bearview!...

Hope you enjoyed the Pics...JJ

Try this... It is Mild and compliments different style sauces well...If you want spicier increase Blk Pepper to 1T and add 1T Wht Pepper and 1T Mustard powder. 

Mild Bubba Q Rub

1/2C Sugar in the Raw (Turbinado)

2T Sweet Paprika (Hungarian)

1T Kosher Salt

1T Chili Powder (contains some Cumin and Oregano) Ancho Chile is same without cumin, oregano etc.

1T Granulated Garlic

1T Granulated Onion

1tsp Black Pepper, more if you like

1/2tsp Grnd Allspice

Cayenne or Chipotle Pwd to taste, start with 1/2tsp and go from there.

Foiling Juice

1T Pork Rub, yours

1/2 Stick Butter 

1/2C Cane Syrup... Dark Corn Syrup...or Honey

1/4C Apple Cider...or Juice

1T Molasses

Optional, but I added...

2T Vinegar, 1T Mustard and 2T Ketchup to make it slightly more Tart and no further BBQ Sauce was needed.

For a Sweet Finishing Sauce for Pulled Pork: Make a Double batch, Butter optional or do as I do...Use the Smoked Pork Fat from the drip pan...

Add 1/2 the batch to the Foil Pack or place it in a Pan with your Butt, when the IT hits 165*F.

Cover the pan with foil and continue to heat to 205*F for pulling.

At 205* rest or hold the Butt in a cooler wrapped in towels until ready to serve.

Pull the Pork and place it back in the pan with the pan Juices and any additional reserved Foiling Juice to moisten and Serve...OR... Bag and refrigerate until needed.

When re-heating place the Pulled Pork in a Pan or Crockpot and add reserved Foiling Juice or Apple Cider, as needed to make up the Juice that was absorbed while  the pork was refrigerated. Cover and re-heat in a pre-heated 325-350*F oven or on High in the crockpot to 165*F and Serve.

Note: the addition of the reserved Foiling Juice or Apple Cider should make the PP moist but not Swimming.

Mixed Greens

2 bunch Kale

1 bunch Collard Greens

2C Chopped Onion

4ea Cloves Garlic, chopped

2TButter

2 Smoked Ham Hocks, I only had one.

4C Water or Stock

2T Sugar

1tsp Salt

1tsp Black Pepper

1/2tsp Dry Thyme

1ea Bay Leaf

2T Hot Sauce, I like Texas Pete

Place the Butter in a large pot and saute the Onions and Garlic just until golden.

Add the Ham Hocks, water and Seasonings and simmer 1 hour.

Mean while...Pull the leaves from the stems of all the Greens (you can use all one kind or a mix). Cut the leaves into 2" squares and wash them thoroughly.

After the hour has passed add the Greens to the pot, cover and simmer 1 hour.

Uncover the pot and simmer an additional hour, stirring occasionally, to reduce the Pot Liquor and get the Greens nice and tender.

Adjust the seasoning and Serve. I like extra Hot Sauce on mine. Some folks like Vinegar.

Stove Top Mac & Cheese

1Lb Pasta

3C Milk, heated until steaming but not bubbling,180*F.

3T Butter 

3T Flour

1/2lb Cheese, I used Cooper Sharp American Cheese

Salt & Pepper to taste

Boil 1Gal Water with 1T Salt and add the Pasta.

In a Saute pan heat the Butter over medium heat until melted and stir in the Flour. 

Cook this Roux for about 1 minute, you don't want color. 

Whisk the Roux into the Hot Milk a little at a time until all is combined. Bring the milk up to a simmer over low heat.

Once simmering add the Cheese a small crumbled handful at a time, stirring continuously until all is melted. Keep the sauce warm until the pasta is ready.

When pasta is done to the desired texture remove One Cup Pasta Water and reserve. Drain the Pasta well and return to the pot.

Stir the Cheese Sauce into the Pasta. If too thick add some reserved pasta water. If too thin turn on the heat to low and stir until desired thickness.

Add S & P to taste and Serve.

Not as Fancy as Baked but real easy and good!

Last edited:
Reactions: candycoated
That's a Great looking meal JJ!!!

I think the USDA has put our pigs on a low fat diet. I had a butt a few weeks ago I ground for sausage and it turned out very dry.

But hey if the family liked it that's what really matters!

Now that looks like you had an awesome meal! 
2thumbs.gif
  I also noticed you chose the best domestic beer there is to complement the great meal 
yahoo.gif
  My hat goes off to you sir - job well done 
beercheer.gif

Thanks Boys, The only problem is, with a 4 lb Butt there is not much for leftovers...Mom and the Girls killed the rest tonight. I got one bite, it was better tonight as the meat soaked up a lot of the Foiling Juice I used as a finishing sauce...JJ

drool.gif
looks mighty good!  And the choice in beer too. Sipping on one right now.  Love the greens!  MMMMMMmmmmmm!

Kat

I'm sure it's hard not to be overly critical of your own work, being a Chef and all. :)

Looks delicious! And those greens are calling my name, they look perfect. I have a deficient amount of vegetables in my life, so they get me excited now! ;p

Thank you for the recipes too!

My little terrier went dumpster diving for a cooked pork butt bone (from one I did recently) while I wasn't looking. When I found her happily munching down on it I was amazed at how brittle the bone was, she is 13 years old and has had some teeth pulled, but she had eaten half of it in just a few minutes. I took it away from her, but she ended up snatching it again, and eat it all up. Your doggie story inspired me to tell mine. :)

Thanks for all the responses...

Mel my Dog is 12 full blood Dachshund and has all her teeth. Butt blade bones are pretty soft but if you make the Greens the larger of the 2 bones in the Ham Hock is hard and will probably have a nub of cartilage at the end which the dog will love you for. My girl Abby worked on that Hock bone for an hour and didn't break the bone...JJ

Hey nice butt JJ!  
biggrin.gif
  Great lookin' meal.

Thanks for posting  your recipes!

I also have a dachsund...spoiled ass rotten is what he is!!!!

Bill

Thanks Bill, It was a good meal over all. Just one of those things. I am not happy and all say it's great then I will make something that I think is perfect and the family turns their nose up...
head-wall.gif
...JJ

Thanks Bill, It was a good meal over all. Just one of those things. I am not happy and all say it's great then I will make something that I think is perfect and the family turns their nose up...
head-wall.gif
...JJ
Aww man!  Been there, done that!  Of course, I am my biggest critic - sounds like you are too.

Bill

Thanks Mule...That is one sweet ride!

Looks good.........just hate it when the food disappears........

BTW nice fingernail polish! What shade of red is that?:sausage:

Awesome looking meal!    Your slaw looks awesome!  I never could make good slaw.   Its a must on a BBQ sandwich.

Thanks for posting!

Thanks Wes, the Cole Slaw is one of those dishes that we just mix to taste. Basically it is 6C shreded Cabbage, 1C grated Carrots, 1C Mayo, 2T Cider Vinegar, 1-2T Sugar, 1-2tsp Celery Salt and 1tsp Black Pepper. Why I say we mix to taste is my wife likes it on the dry side, Me and the Baby like creamy and the oldest Girl likes it more tart so she adds 1-2T Sour Cream.

Jarjar, I am not sure what shade of Red that is...I'll take a pic and send it to you to get a close up but it is all worn off but the Middle Finger! Look Close and let me know...
icon_lol.gif
...JJ

Thanks Z...Need to do a repeat, I am getting a hard time for making a small Butt...JJ

Lookin' good, nothing wrong with a small butt.

Next time try smoking at wet bulb temp with a reasonable amount of moisture, that'll eliminate the stall and much of the dry meat problem.

~Martin

Last edited:
Lookin' good, nothing wrong with a small butt.

Next time try smoking at wet bulb temp with a reasonable amount of moisture, that'll eliminate the stall and much of the dry meat problem.

~Martin
Wet Bulb Temp? I was under the impression that the Water pan and the added moisture slows things down. One source was that article on Stall and Evaporative Cooling. My interset is peaked, I would like to get less stall and more moist meat without Foiling, I'm a total Bark Hound...JJ

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky