another noob

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

saber

Original poster
Aug 5, 2007
Central PA
Hi every one! I'm Steve from central PA Great form you have, been reading for the last 2 hours, and got some great info
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Anyways love smoked meets, but the local BBQ join sucks (every thing has an overpowering smoke taste meet has a bitter taste), so I have decide to try cooking my own.

I started out using my gas grill with one burner and a smoke box going to do briskets. Made 4 of them that way they were ok, but have had better. Can only do one thing at a time
icon_rolleyes.gif

Went to sams club and saw they had a masterbuilt smoker, and got that. I have 2 briskets on now for sunday dinner.

I think I'm stating to have a bit of regret tho, wish I went with a wood fired smoker. Now I have to come up with a plan to tell the girl friend why I need 2 smokers
icon_razz.gif

I like to play with fire
icon_evil.gif

I like to lurk, but I'm sure I'll have some ? down the road, and maybe be able to offer a tip every now and then

Welcome to the SMF steve. This is th place to be if you like to smoke and eat smoked meat veggies cheese or what ever you cn fit in the smoker. Good luck with your smoking endevors.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Welcome Steve, Glad to have ya. If you have any questions just ask away. Someone will have the answer. Good luck on todays smoke.

Welcome aboard Steve from another newby. I have four smokes under my belt since joining smf and all have turned out perfect.

This is definately the Greatest Smoking Forum on The PLANET.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

9lb Brisket
Pork Loin
Numerous Fatty's
Abt's
Alder smoked Copper River Salmon

Welcome to SMF, and don't be afraid to ask if you have a question. The friendly folks here will jump in and help you out.Welcome Steve from Steve in Mo.

Welcome to the SMF, sign up for Jeff's 5-day eCourse and newsletter, also chec out Deejay Debi's site http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/
An about that second smoker you could always tell her FlaGriller's car dropped
it off
PDT_Armataz_01_09.gif
You'll have to ask him about his car
icon_lol.gif

thanks for the warm welcome, but the story had a sad ending. Must have used to much wood meet has a bad over smoked taste
icon_cry.gif

think I'm going to try and return the smoker, and build my own. At least I'll get to play with the welder
PDT_Armataz_01_25.gif

To night we eat pizza
icon_rolleyes.gif

Welcome Steve -
Nothing as good as doing it yourself. We all have our favorite rubs ans sauces although Jeff's Rub and sauce is a big hit here and is rapidly gaining as THE rub and sauce to use! I agree!

With time you'll learn what you like and don't like an how to make YOUR perfect Q! In the mean time look around and enjoy!
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif

Fudley -

Is there a better site on another planet somehwere? Did I miss it?
icon_eek.gif

yea only 1/2 way if I opened it all the it would drop in temp to 190. The best I could get it was to 210. I was using a probe type thermometer, and not going off the unit temp gauge

I don't know what type wood you were using but it doesn't take much, couple of chunks every hour or so after you get it going, I'm not familiar with the MasterBuilt, maybe somebody that has one will jump in with so help

apple the only thing I could get a hold of, I must have used to much wood I filled that loader thing twice. I used hickory when I smoked in my gas grill and it worked great.

hello Steve, and welcome to the SMF. You'll have plenty of help here from friendly folks. Don't be shy with any questions.

WELCOME

Dont know much about the unit your usin but with my log burner, the key is keepin the vents OPEN as much as possible. Clean fire makes clean smoke. Also , temp of 190 will work fine but will take a little longer. Low and slow, eh. Master the fire. Nothing compares.

Seve -

Keep the smoke thin and blue f it get white and bilowy you risk btter over smoked taste. You should just barely be ably to see it. Good luck!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky