Another FNG to the forum

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandman1

Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
My name is Phil. I am a San Francisco native. I currently reside in Rocklin, CA with my wife. I have been smoking for years with a WSM. I usually do Pork Butts or Ribs. Recently I thought I would give Pastrami a whirl. I have destroyed 2 briskets in the past, hoping for the ol' 3rd time is a charm. Smoking time is much less with the Pastrami recipe so we'll see. I have been spending alot of time with my young Rottweiler female getting her trained. I mention this because I saw a member who works for Sport Dog, a manufacturer of training collars. I just bought one for my dog and it works great. Yeah TMI on the wrong subject. Glad to be aboard.....

Welcome man. I am sure that you will find the informaton you need to for your brisket. I did my first one a few weeks ago based on a recipe from here and it was great. Good luck and good smoke!

Hey Phil, glad you joined up, welcome to the forum.

Gary S

Welcome to the forum, this is one great site for help and great recipes. I have enjoyed it over the last two years and I have gotten much help when needed. Don't be afraid to ask.

Craig

You did not give a lot of info to as what you tried. Here is a simple way that I did.

Pastrami

1 4 to 5 lb. Corned Beef

Rub Mix
4  Tbs Coarse Black Pepper

2  Tbs  Ground Coriander

1  Tbs   Paprika
 Mix these 3 together (you can add garlic ,onion , brown sugar). I like the plain 3

Yellow Mustard for coating the meat

Smoker  
 Wood I used Alder Pellets

Prepare your Corn Beef by soaking it over night in a large pot of cold water.
Use Stainless Steel or Glass bowl to keep from having a reaction from the salt in the meat.

Drain and rinse, paper towel dry it, trim off almost all the fat.

Place meat on rack apply a coat of the mustard, both sides then cover the meat with the dry rub.

place meat in fridge for a hour or 2

Prepare your smoker 225* F use a good meat Thermometer heavy smoke for the first hour.
 Meat should be cooked about an hour per pound. When it reaches 160* to 165* it is done.
remove from smoker wrap in foil refrigerate 12 hrs enjoy

I used a 3lb. peace of meat for my first try. cooked 2 3/4 hrs. UMM UMM Good

Prepped with rub

Smoked

Sliced

Hope you succeed with yours'

Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky