Another First Fatty...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

5lakes

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 12, 2010
Fairmont, MN
Nephew/Smoking Apprentice Dakota and I decided we needed to try a fatty. Here is what we came up with.

We used ground turkey rather than sausage. For stuffing, red bell pepper, onion, potato, Italian five cheese mix. After laying out the turkey, I coated it with some pure maple syrup and a light dusting of rub. Dakota did the bacon weave after checking out Silverwolf's tutorial. We brought it to IT of 165. The bacon was done, but just this side of crisp, which is perfect for us.

Here's everything laid out

cf8f0c79_IMG_0396.jpg

Ready to roll

ba2c17ad_IMG_0397.jpg

Rolled and ready for the bacon

ff4c6a3d_IMG_0398.jpg

Dakota's first attempt at the weave

961187d3_IMG_0399.jpg

Ready for the smoker

fcba5bba_IMG_0400.jpg

On the ECB

137d81c4_IMG_0406.jpg

Ready to serve

72f56daa_IMG_0407.jpg

Oh, we did have a "learning experience" when rolling into the bacon. We decided to fry that up for a sneak peak at what it would taste like...  Oh boy, we could hardly wait for it to be done.

a0bf3b8e_IMG_0404.jpg

Also, we used some hickory for smoke. I think next time, less hickory and add some maple. The maple syrup gave a hint of sweet which gave this an incredible taste.

Thanx for looking!

Reactions: richoso1
Congrats on what looks like a tasty treat. Glad to know that you're passing on some great information to another smoking hopeful. The flavors sound like they were very compatible, Thumbs up to the both of you.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

cool.gif

Yes that's one fine looking fattie maybe alittle different but a good idea thou. I'm thinking that the fattie is like a welcoming prize of joining for most folks have never heard of one till they come in here.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky