Another Brisket Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

4x15mph

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
I want to smoke a brisket and I was expecting to follow the instructions in another thread about separating the flat from the point.  I bought the 7 pound brisket from Sam's and the label has "Beef brisket flat boneless cou".  

1) Does this mean the point has been cut off along with the "corn"?  

2) It has a large fat layer on one side so should I remove that before cooking? 

Thank you

Yea sounds like it's just the flat post up pics!

I personally would only remove any hard fat you find imo just a flat is going to need as much fat to keep it moist as possible

Arghhh... why do they sell just the flat if it will not be moist?  Should I consider getting something different at this point and keep this one for home consumption only?

I would take a picture but it is in the cryovac and will stay there until I pull it out on Friday for seasoning.  I will smoke it on Saturday.  

4x15, it will be moist if you cook it correctly, which is to put it in your smoker and cook it until a probe goes through the thickest part of the flat like a knife through butter.  The moisture in a brisket comes from the breaking down and rendering of the connective tissue between the muscle fibers, not from the external fat.

That said, a decent fat cap can act as a shield to prevent the exterior of your brisket from getting scorched.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky